Welcome

I am a Ph.D. graduate from The Ohio State University studying ancient history.  My particular interest is ancient military history.  More specifically, my research focuses on mercenaries and how they both supported and undermined social, political, and military systems in ancient Greece and the Near East.  Chasing mercenaries has led me in a number of directions, including studying Athenian ideals of masculinity as they relate to combat, the role of slaves, the urban poor, and other non-hoplites in Greek warfare, and how historical legacies are created.  This last point forms a central theme of my dissertation, in which I argue that the traditional image of the Archaic Sicilian tyrant was actually based on the Athenian descriptions of the Classical Age tyrant Dionysius I, and not on their deeds.

If you are visiting this site you have either received one of my business cards or have found me by Googling my name.  Hopefully in either case, you are considering me as a candidate for a teaching or research position.  To that end, I’ve posted some of my scholarship and teaching materials for your perusal.  Feel free to look around and read or watch what I have posted.  If you have any questions, please e-mail me at tadlock.6@osu.edu.  Thank you for your time.