Artifacts

My first artifact is one of my most prized possessions; although it carries significant monetary value, its value to me is purely sentimental. The necklace that I almost never take off is a golden Star of David with חַי (chai), meaning “life”, transcribed in the center. The star was originally encompasses by a gold and diamond circle that belonged to my Mother; however, today I wear one half and my sister wears the other. Additionally, the necklace was made by my second cousin who is a jeweler. This necklace is irreplaceable and therefore priceless. It’s value lies not only in its strong connection to my family, but in the necklace’s significance in Jewish culture. Although Judaism has never been very important to me from a religious aspect, I have always felt a strong connection with Jewish culture. The necklace is a frequent reminder of those friends, family and people all over the world that I share that connection with. Throughout history and in many places still today Jews are persecuted for something as simple as wearing a Star of David necklace so I like to wear it with pride and let it serve as a reminder for those who cannot express religious freedom. To me the necklace represents many things, but when I look at it I always think of my family. College is tough being separated from your loved ones, but having at least one thing to remember them always makes me feel more at home.