Ashley Soldavini, M.S.
- Dissertation Title: Understanding the effects of smart-speaker based surveys on panelist experience in immersive consumer testing
- Degrees: B.S. in Food Science and Technology with an emphasis in Consumer Science from University of California, Davis
- From: Millbrae, California
- Current Work: Running OSU’s Sensory Evaluation Center
Brianne Linne, Ph.D.
- Dissertation Title: Identification and Characterization of Chemical Compounds Contributing to Coffee Body
- Degrees: B.S. in Neuroscience from the University of Rochester & M.S. in Food Science from Ohio State (Simons Lab)
- From: Annandale, New Jersey
Brittany Miles, Ph.D.
- Dissertation Title:
- Degrees: B.S. in Biology with a minor in Biochemistry from Georgia Institute of Technology
- From: Cary, North Carolina
Maria Cotter, Ph.D.
- Dissertation Title: Novel Measurement Methods of the Consumer Reward Complex
- Degrees: B.S. in Food Science from Michigan State University
- From: East Lansing, Michigan
Jessica Miao, M.S.
- Dissertation Title: The Effects of Gamification on Engagement and Response Accuracy in Discriminatory Sensory Testing
- Degrees: B.S. in Food Science & Technology from The Ohio State University
- From: Columbus, OH
Gabe Hutchings, M.S.
- Dissertation Title: The Impact of Temperature and Chemical Compounds on Perceived Roughness Intensity
From: Jenkinsville, South Carolina
Advice: Find people who will be your friends and hold on to them
Amy Andes, Ph.D.
- Degrees: B.S. in Chemistry from Northeastern University, Ph.D. Food Science and Technology from The Ohio State University
- Dissertation Title: Assessing the impact of textural selectivity and tactile sensitivity on eating behaviors.
- From: Kildeer, Illinois
- Hobbies: Singing, eating sweets, playing with dogs, memes, yoga, and traveling
- Fun fact: I started my own food company during graduate school and went on to sell 600 jars of my allergy-friendly “nut” butter alternative called Banzo Butter. I continue to work on it as a side passion. Check it out here: banzobutterbrand.com
- Advice: Find your people in this world and motivate each other to succeed with all of your unique talents.
- Current Work: Scientist at Abbott Nutrition
Ron Bangcuyo, M.S.
- Degrees: Certificate in Culinary Arts and B.S. in Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism Management from the University of South Carolina, B.S. & M.S. in Food Science from The Ohio State University
- Dissertation Title: Lingual tactile sensitivity: Effect of age, gender,fungiformpapillae density, and temperature.
- From: Charleston, South Carolina
- Current work: Senior Sensory Technician at The J.M. Smucker Company
- Fun Fact: I like to play ukulele while Alex (seen below) raps.
- Advice/Quote: “You’re under no obligation to be the same person you were 5 minutes ago.”
Danica Berry, M.S.
- Degrees: B.S. in Food Science & Technology from Oregon State University, M.S. in Food Science from The Ohio State University
- Thesis title: Effect of oral cavity loci and cultural background on responses to capsaicin
- From: Lake Oswego, Oregon
- Current work: Sensory scientist at Beyond Meat
- Hobbies: Hiking, concerts, yoga, meditation, trying out new kombucha flavors.
Jhaelynn Elam, M.S.
- Degrees: B.S. in Food Science and B.S. in Biology from Tuskegee University, M.S. in Food Science from The Ohio State University
- Thesis title: The comparison of liking scores and panelist engagement when evaluating beverages in traditional booths and virtual or actual dining facility scenarios.
- From: Dayton, Ohio
- Current work: Sensory and Consumer Research Scientist with the Amway company working under their Nutrilite brand.
- Fun facts: I like traveling and trying new foods!
- Advice: To anyone joining the Simons lab, take advantage of the opportunity to truly learn a lot!
Gretchen Guttman, M.S.
- Degrees: B.S. in Biology from Coastal Carolina University, M.S. in Food Science from The Ohio State University
- Thesis title: The use of immersive technologies and threshold detection to determine the influence of context and matrix effects on perception of ethanol in beer.
- From: Columbus, Ohio
- Current work: Sensory Technologist at Boston Beer Company
- Fun facts: I love beer, cheese, manatees, and traveling!
- Advice: When life gives you a Monday, dip it in glitter and sparkle all day.
Mackenzie Hannum, Ph.D.
- Degrees: B.S. and Ph.D. in Food Science and Technology from The Ohio State University
- Dissertation title: Developing a valid and reliable measure of engagement in consumer and sensory evaluations as a way to improve data quality,
- From: Columbus, Ohio (born and raised a buckeye!)
- Current work: Postdoctoral research at Monell Chemical Senses Center
- Hobbies: Going to new restaurants, exploring outside, cooking new recipes, and drinking wine
Rebecca Liu, M.S.
- Degrees: B.S. in Biology from the University of California, Los Angeles, M.S. in Food Science and Technology from The Ohio State University
- Thesis title: The use of immersive technologies to modulate the contextual congruency of visual, auditory, and olfactory information streams important in shaping hedonic responses.
- From: South Pasadena, California
- Former work: Sensory Scientist at Kerry
- Fun facts: I love taking naps, grocery shopping at Trader Joe’s, and the 10 step Korean skincare regimen.
- Advice: Work hard, nap harder.
Alex Pierce-Feldmeyer, Ph.D.
- Degrees: B.S. in Food Science from the University of Illinois, Ph.D. in Food Science from The Ohio State University
- Dissertation title: The effect of orthonasal and retronasal odorant administration on multitasking stress reduction.
- From: Dayton, Ohio
- Current work: Sensory Scientist at Mane.
- Fun facts: I like to rap and eat ice cream.
- Advice: Go big or go home.
- Undergraduate: Short Degree in Gastronomic Science from Università degli Studi di Parma
- Currently: M.S. student
- From: Parma, Italy
- Research: Studied the oral cavity tactile sensitivity, focusing on the influence of temperature on tongue roughness perception.
- Hobbies: Watching movies and series, playing sports, traveling, always looking for new food experiences.
Laura Riley, M.S.
- Undergraduate: B.S. in Chemistry from Florida Southern College
- Thesis Title: Perception of orthonasal and retronasal aromas evoked by single compounds and complex flavor mixtures.
- From: Dunnellon, Florida
- Current work: Sensory scientist at Givaudan Flavors in Cincinnati
- Hobbies: Yoga, barre, Disney, and visiting new coffee shops.