A Night at the Museum

While working all week it is easy to forget where I am. Today was filled with a hectic whirlwind of new experiences, one of which included presenting a biosecurity plan to the participants taking the biosecurity course. But after all of this we went to the local Flint Hills Discovery Museum and I was able to relax. At the museum I got to know the people around me better and I learned about the area around me as well. It was refreshing to read and hear about how the land developed and it reminded me to appreciate my own home’s landscape.

After almost a year of living in Columbus I am only just now scratching the surface of feeling the land around me. I am starting to build a mental map of the area and beginning to feel the rhythm around me. There is nothing more relaxing to me than being able to stand tall in a place that I know well and just breathing in deeply the air that keeps me alive as I gently stare up at the stars above me. Whenever it feels like there is no order to the world around me, it is reassuring to remember the slow, steady rhythm of the ever-changing earth under my feet and around my body.

This seems to be a sentiment shared by the other people taking this course. While eating dinner and walking around the museum with all of these important people, I felt like I was among friends. It felt as if I had known these people for so much longer than the four days since I had first seen them. Tonight has shown me how good the world can be. People on the other side of the planet do care for the same things that you do, and we have so much to learn from communicating with them.

Buff the Bison(Left) and Me(Right)