2 thoughts on “Collage Part 1

1. Hi Shivali! There is so much going on here in your collage! It is really exciting! I wonder which route your took to interpret the prompt I gave you… is this a vision for the future or based of a dream you had while sleeping? Either way, it looks like a really nice dream! It is full of color, pattern, and beauty. The center and middle righthand side are the only places where I start to see elements of a nightmare appearing.

This exercise can be a great tool for you also in painting. How can you use this collage to inspire a series a whole of images, or turn it into a more flushed out narrative? If you are ever stuck on what you should draw or paint, collage is a great place to start — that being said, I am looking forward to your translation drawing copy next week! You might have to take some liberties when “copying” this collage. Think about what extra things you might add, simply, or subtle changes you might make as you create the drawing. How does this really become one surreal environment or landscape rather than a disjointed collection of different figures? What key details were you not able to show in this first collage that you want to incorporate? The next drawing is truly a translation rather than a copy. As the artist, you have creative control!

1. Hi Lydia! I am sorry for being slow on last week and this week’s but I am working on my translation currently. I honestly thing this assignment has been the most beneficial for me both in this drawing class and my painting class in terms of trying to translate what my style in my mind is into something tangible. The route I took was things I have always been drawn to artistically and just in life dreams I had and things I still aspire to do once I have the ability. -translating my art into forms of fashion, traveling to italy for traditional atelier drawing courses, the rise of more foreign and ethnic clothing into western fashion. The darker parts with the skeleton refers back to my interests in the traditional drawing styles of the ateliers as well as the darker kind of art that I like. Making this collage and now translating it into a drawing is exactly what I feel like I needed. The kind of paintings I like or what I sketch in my book are just random things all over the page, things that may not make sense a few months later when i look at it, but in the moment they are exactly what I needed to get out or feel. Collaging has made doing that something more accessible and consistent instead of randomly in a year. Taking things that I see all around that end up in my mind for a while, and arranging and rearranging them in a way that I can then sketch and eventually turn into a painting is the route that I am going to embark on now.

Thank you for this assignment!