Interviewing Workshop with the Office of Counseling and Career Services – 10/6

This was an event I attended for my STEP PDP requirements, but I think that it will also be relevant to IA and my role as a Professional Development Chair on the IA LC.

In this session, I learned about the process of interviewing and what steps I can take to give the best interview. I learned that there are 4 types of questions companies and organizations ask during an interview. Interviewers ask technical questions which relate to the skill of the job you are applying for, personal questions, questions about future goals, and questions about your past experiences, all of which tell the company if you are qualified for the job you are seeking skill-wise and if you would be a good fit for the company you are applying for. I learned how to word my answers to interview questions, how to create answers if I don’t have a specific one in mind, and just gain more perspective of what the employer is looking for in an interview.

Interviewing is a very important skill to have for both when you are in college and after college when you may be attending graduate school or seeking a job. In college, I have already given multiple interviews when I applied to student organizations, applied for leadership positions in student organizations I was already in, and when I sought internships and research opportunities. I am applying to student organizations that require me to interview in the future as well, so I hope I will be able to apply what I learned at this workshop there. After college, I want to attend graduate school, where I will likely need to interview for the programs I am applying to so that universities can see if I am a good fit for the program. I’m certain that I can apply what I have learned in this workshop to future interviews not only in college but for the rest of my life.

As the Professional Development Chair, I would love to incorporate more events relating to interviewing, so I think that I will reach out to CCSS for organizing another event or try to host an interviewing workshop on my own!