Sketchbook Process

Research

https://notability.com/n/2a9_hqR~p0rfmZCp5UWai_

-Annotated article of 10 different binding methods

• Pros and cons of each method
  • Personal opinion of look and function
  • Check if it meets the essentials

https://notability.com/n/172EddMrp~rvAwAgppVV69

-Hand-drawn blueprints

• Throughly labeled parts with suggested material
  • Where to find each suggested material in a recycling aspect
  • Nonpermanent ideas and loose concepts
  • Laid out possible essential that would be needed for each idea
  • Open ended question with pros and cons
  • Potential future problems and solutions

-(Second Page)

• Professional and neat blueprint of kerf method
  • Exact measurements in multiple different units
  • Decided length and width

Exercises

Tiny Sketchbooks with Binding

I first planned to sew my pages, but after three attempts at perfection, I decided the sewing method wasn’t for me.

Iterations

Did Do:

– Double Spiral Bound Method

– Kerf Cut Cover

– Swirl Cover Design

– Wooden Material

– Mixed Media Pages

– Modern Vibe

Didn’t Do

– Double Bound Cover

– Basic Hardback Cover

– Hidden Box

– Inside Pencil Pouch

– Carved Pockets in Cover

-Threaded Binding

Process

In the beginning, I was set on my double cover plan, with the hardback outside and spiral notebook inside. Other ideas intrigued me, but I knew this one was best.

My idea path soon changed after I found inspiration inside Joann’s.

This is a bamboo book cover, made from one single sheet of material. I thought this would be an amazing challenge and that it would really set my work apart from everyone else’s. I was set on completing it.

I chose my cover material, cherry plywood, also from Joanns. I wanted to get started immediatly.

The background sheet shows my chosen material, with my inspiration positioned in front of it.

I had to throughly analyze these cuts that made the wood flexible. I noticed it was one way, the wood could only bend inward based on the angle of the cut. I measured and researched accordingly but this method was rare to be seen on book covers so I had to rely on myself for most of the research.

I cut many test covers first before working on any interior.

My first was made of paper, the second was a thin cardboard, and the third was a thicker cardstock. I also tested the beginning of my design on the last test. None of my tests prepared me for the thickness of my plywood however.

When I finally went to cut my plywood for my final, the sizing got messed up even after my extensive tests and I ruined my entire sheet of plywood.

First, it printed way too small, and I immediatly stopped when I found out.

The next print was far too big though, and it couldn’t tell until I removed it from the machine. The cuts also weren’t deep enough, I learned. The cardstock test version is the correct size, in comparison to the two mess ups.

This was very frustrating for me, because I wasted an entire sheet of valuable material from a problem I couldn’t even fix and had no control over.

I ended up buying another piece of the same plywood, because I was glued to my vision and I refused to use another material because there just wasnt anything else like it.

I did millions of test cuts on the first ‘mess-up’ sheet of wood, to be perfectly confident that my cuts would be correct this time. I tested the depth of the cuts and if they would cut through, I tested sizing over and over again, and I made sure the wood was stable after each cut.

It was gorgeous. My final piece cut perfectly and I even had time to etch my design into the front page. The laser cutter room was packed for all the days I tried to do tests. I chose not to etch the back cover because many people were waiting on me and it was a long process. I also think that wood really is just so beautiful and I wanted to show that off too.

My etches and cuts were something to be proud of.

I got the inspiration for the cover design from one of my earlier projects in Visual Principles from first semester.

This rug is where my inspiration rose from. It looks similar to a topography map, so I used a topography map from google to base my sketchbook cover design off of.

This was my template for the cover and it came out great, it gave me the texture aspect I was looking for. Now it was time for the interior.

I deconstructed an old planner to get the double bound spiral model I wanted. Added bonus, it was gold. I like how it gives a modern look.

The pages are combined of graph paper, sketchbook paper, watercolor paper, mixed media paper, tan recycled paper, brown cardstock, and black cardstock. I really liked the contrast and variety of mediums. I got this idea from another old sketchbook I have.

I cut the pages by copying the measurements and sizing of the old pages in the planner, where I got the spiral from.

I then constructed all of it together, with the last page being a durable, decorative page to glue onto the back cover to keep the spiral in place.

My surprise element was that each page separating the different colors had a built in divider. I got this idea from my old planner, which also had a page like this.

The white page is from my old planner and the brown page is from my new sketchbook.

The end result was magnificent. Everyone was really impressed by my work, and I was really proud to have made it.

Sketchbook