2D to 3D Process

Exercises/ Activities

Perfect Cube

We were told to find a cube template online and construct a perfect cube using the tools and trips Deb gave us on constructing 3D shapes with Bristol Paper.

Trapezoid

We were given a trapezoid template and we had to copy the measurements exactly and make a perfect trapezoid. This was a more complicated shape than the cube.

A2 Shapes

Extrusions of new shapes, all found in A2

Combination 3D Shape (1 + 2)

We had to combine our first shapes to form a new shape, I combined my first and second shape because the bottom and the side conveniently had to same measurements.

Alteration(s) of final shape

I chose partially the negative space option and also combining that with the pattern option, where you change the outward appearance. The mix of the two is the one with the twine strung throughout the shape.

Drawings

'

Isometric and Axonometric view of cube.

Isometric and Orthographic view of 3D trapezoid shape.

Templates

Cube Template.

All three shape templates with measurements.

Final shape digital labeled template.

Step by Step:

Step 1: Carefully cut out template only on the solid lines and lightly run your knife over the dashed lines to make it foldable

Step 2: Bend away from your light cut on each of the dashed lines to make each side

Step 3: Fold A and B towards each other

Step 4: Glue g2 to C and g1 to A, use another paper to evenly spread a thin layer of glue

Step 5: Glue f2 under G and f1 to B

Step 6: Glue h1 to F and carefully glue h2 to the side of I, careful because this is one of the smallest tabs due to the convex shape

Step 7: Glue I1 to A, bending E inwards

Step 8: Glue e1 to B

Step 9: Make sure there is no gap between E and I because there is no tab there to connect the two

Step 10: Put glue on c1 first and then a1 and a2

Step 11: Attach all three tabs to their connecting planes at the same time

Step 12: Complete your 3D shape.

Iterations

When we made the first cube, my edges were overlapped and there was glue all over the sides, it was very messy. It was my first time with a 3D Template so there were bound to be mistakes. My second attempt was much cleaner, I took my time cutting it out and carefully gluing it and folding each edge perfectly and it turned out much better. My third attempt was the same as the second just doubled in scale. Overall I learned better techniques to gluing and folding carefully and with precision, which helped me when constructing the other templates.

For the trapezoid, my first attempt was made out of scrap paper, so it was very flimsy and delicate to touch. The edges were very hard to fold and the glue made the paper super wrinkly and thinner than it already was. First attempt was lacking in material but it helped me visualize where the appropriate tabs go. Second attempt was much better, I made it in Bristol paper so it was much sturdier and that was my final form.

For my first shape I chose from A2, it started off as a curved shape, but then Deb warned me how difficult curves were and that we should save those for a later date. I then picked my chosen shape, the triangle looking one. I extruded it in Adobe Illustrate and visualized my template and went from there. I had to do multiple templates because I didn’t know where each of the sides should go and where the tabs should go. As you can see in the first attempt, I struggled with getting correct measurements and the tip ended up being too short for their tab to fit underneath. So, I adjusted and corrected. My second template was a little better, still just experimenting with different ways to construct my shape. I mixed the two templates together to make a shape that worked the best with the least amount of complications, and that was my final template. For the final piece, I doubled the measurements to make it more accurate and it turned out very clean and easy to construct.

For my second shape, I chose something simple so I could constrict it faster and also have time for the third shape. I extruded it in my mind and since i already had experience from shape 1, I knew what to do so I didn’t have to experiment with the templates as much. I attempted my first template and most sides matched up, I had to do some slight alterations and I also upscaled the template and it worked. I’ve learned that once you double the measurements, your shape gets much better because small shapes are harder to work with. I like this shape because it looks like a cube but it’s just slightly more complex and difficult to work with. The top is slanted up and the side is sloped down and those unequal measurements were a bit tricky to work with.

For my third shape, I chose something more complex, to challenge myself. I think it turned out well for how complex it was to formulate in my mind. The shape resembles a W and the part in the middle where the downward slopes intersect was hard to connect with tabs because of how it folds and how small the angle is. I figured it out after a few attempts on paper and then I decided on my template and cut out my final form in its smaller shape. I didn’t upscale this one, like I did the other shapes, because I didn’t think I needed it. Deb only suggested to double the measurements if our smaller version were a bit sloppy, but since I already had experience making two shapes before this one, I felt pretty confident in making the smaller shape.

The final was a bit confusing for me because I at first didn’t understand the parameters of the assignment and then Rahul kindly explained it to me and I finally got it. I chose to combine my first two shapes and skipped over the third one because I couldn’t formula a way to combine the awkward shape of a W to the other blocky, more uniform geometric shapes. The first and second shape were extruded to the same width so it was easy to come up with combinations. I rotated shape 2 a couple times until it matched up with the front side of shape 1 in a way I liked. I thought this new shape looked like a person with a big head and I liked that so I chose that combination. I made a good couple of templates for this final piece, and I learned that it was easier to attach your extruded side to the longest portion of your shape and knowing this made the experiment process a lot faster because I had one variable locked. When it came to the end part where we had to label the template, I was met with a lot of frustration between digital and paper templates. My paper template measurements didn’t match up with the digital versions in length and degrees. I was so lost in what to do because I didn’t want to contradict myself between paper and digital so I just tried a bunch of things until one of them accidentally worked and I was able to match my different templates. I later learned that the problem was with the measuring system used in Illustrator and how it wasn’t measuring the full length of the line when it was angled in any way. That setback caused a lot of distress and took an extra 2 hours out of my work process. But overall, through the difficulties, I completed each part of this project to the best of my ability and I’m proud of the work I have made, I think its really clean.

For my iterations, I quickly made more templates. I purposely rushed the creation process because I wanted to challenge the perfection aspect of this project. If you look close, you can see overlapped edges, incorrect right angles, uneven folds and planes that aren’t identical that don’t line up straight. These “mistakes” would be easily noticeable if the shapes were bare but I knew that if I had enough of something else to distract the viewer, those imperfections would be immediately looked over.

For Alt 1, I had this idea in mind for a while because it employs the idea of negative shape but I didn’t just want to cut holes or shapes into my project, I wanted it to be more natural, and fire is found in nature. The burn holes are strategically placed on the shape, I wanted them to be random but also not intentional. I probably should’ve done a test first with burning Bristol paper because that is when I met all of my problems in action of this idea. I though that just by holding a torched lighter near the paper would automatically make the shape I wanted, but I didn’t account for how thick Bristol was. It immediately caught on fire and when the area was big enough, I blew our the flame but the embers remained lit. The edges around the hole were still burning without a flame and it was slowly eating the paper around it. I tried blowing it out but that also made it worse. So, I stuffed a wet paper towel in the hole and that helped a bit. I kept the paper towel in the first hole as I began on the next one. My next hole was in the bottom, where there was a very obvious mistake in the construction process, so I just decided to burn away all my mistakes. I knew that the embers would do enough work if I at least got the hole started so I cut a jagged shape out and lit that part on fire, watching and waiting until it was big enough then stuffing that hole too. From here I noticed that the entire shape itself was smoking even though there was no active flame or ember. I took out the wet paper towels and wet them again and continued with the last hole. Once the last one was done and all openings were stuffed, the shape was still smoking and I didn’t know why or how to proceed so I shoved the entire shape into a cup of water, completely submerging it for maybe 10 minutes. Halfway through I realized that paper deteriorates in water and though I would have to find a way to redo the entire thing. But, again, Bristol paper is incredibly thick and the shape dried off and it was absolutely fine. I never found out why it was smoking but I learned to maybe not burn Bristol paper again.

The idea for alt 2 came to me while I was waiting for alt 1 to stop smoking. It was creepy, it sounded interesting, and it looked fun. This is the one that took the most time because I didn’t actually have a needle, I just stabbed single holes into the shape with a pencil, gluing tabs and folding edges as I went. I planned out each hole and after it was made and after the twine was strung through it, I planned for where the next hole would go. I wanted the outside to look cool, with some cross overs and parts that wrapped around an edge, but I also didn’t want the inside to look boring so I strung it all around from top to bottom with overlaps inside and outside. It was difficult to thread the twine with my hands because when I closed one flap, I was also cutting off the amount of space I had to work with my hands. It got to the point where all of them were closed with the top and bottom open, just how I wanted but I still had more to thread so I took a pair of tweezers and tried to find a way to snake my way through the maze of strings to my next hole. It was difficult but definitely worth it for the end result. It looks exactly like how I envisioned it in my head.

For my third alteration, I decided to make it easy on myself and just manipulate the outside. This one was another great example of distraction from the mistakes because this was the one that was the sloppiest in creation and construction. If you look at it head on, you can see there is an obvious slant from one side to the other but its completely unnoticed because of all the different words in different angles. I did a project like this a while ago for myself, where I constructed a mans figure out of the word meatball, and that was fun and entertaining to me so I wanted to do it again. I also knew it would provide some visual contrast in both the black and white and the texture contrast in comparison to my other two alterations. The words written on here are not random, some are poems, some are songs with a strong meaning, and some are thing my friends have said to me. All of these things have a big of a sad tone which is different that the overall creepy theme I was going for and I think that’s interesting to have all these small details you might overlook mean so much when you know the real meaning behind them. I like how this one turned out because its also a part of me and who I am put into my shape.

Production + Process Images

Extrusion of shapes in Illustrator.

First attempt at shape 1 template and outcome. This outcome didn’t work because I underestimated some angles and the length of the front protruding face.

Second attempt at shape 1 with a new template.

Third and final attempt at shape, replica of second attempt with the same template.

All 3 attempts and outcomes of shape 1

Template and outcomes of shape 2 (later upscaled)

Shape 3, first and final rendition. I simply took my cutout shape and traced it twice and connected the two tracing with however long I wanted the shape to expand.

All three extrusion shapes with different combinations.

Decided outcome of shape 1 and 2

Practicing template(s) and where the flaps and tabs go.

Final template and final shape.

Repeating final shape and template x3 preparing for alterations

First alteration (Alt 1) burned holes

Making of alt 2, needle and twine

Alt 3, covered in my handwriting text

All shapes next to each other combined into a pattern

2D to 3D