Each year instructors at The Ohio State University include service-learning in over 80 courses to enrich the understanding of course content, broaden appreciation of the discipline, and enhance development of civic responsibility. Faculty engaged in community-based scholarship have increased opportunities not only to enrich teaching and integrate service, but also to design research to improve future learning and service outcomes. The Office of Service-Learning offers a variety of resources to support faculty and staff in service-learning courses:
- Technical assistance with course development
- Faculty development workshops and other events
- Identification of community partners
- Assistance with service placement and management
- Individual consultation
- Please contact director, Ola Ahlqvist (email@example.com, 614-247-7997) to schedule an individual consultation regarding the development of a service-learning course or program.
As part of our services, we maintain a wide collection of resources that can support instructors in planning and facilitating service-learning courses. Please refer to the menu for a full list and links. Is there something missing from our list? Let us know!
Why get involved in service-learning?
- Improve student learning – research has shown that service-learning improves student academic outcomes and student motivation
- Make a difference – service-learning allows faculty and students to see how their work and ideas can have an impact and practical application on life beyond the classroom
- Connect to your passion – intellectual passions and service interests can connect through creative service-learning projects in ways traditional classes and research may not
- Attract driven students – students who seek out service-learning courses have unique life experiences and a commitment to their own learning
- Improve town-gown relations – creating positive, reciprocal relationships with community partners helps to blur the boundaries between campus and community
- Publish in new ways – service-learning and community engaged research creates new knowledge and offers the opportunity to stand out
- Diversify your CV – service-learning and community engagement makes a nice addition to your tenure and promotion materials