Dr. Breitenberger Reflection

I always enjoy an opportunity to learn about women in history, especially if it has to do with science. It was interesting to learn about the women in the very beginning and where the roots of many things with women in science began. There was one thing in particular that I noticed throughout this presentation and that was, when women are talked about in history, their husbands are always mentioned as well. For example when Marie-Anne Lavoisier was mentioned, it was mentioned that she was the wife of Antoine Lavoisier. For this specific example I understand that her husband helped her in the lab but I feel that when women are mentioned in history, whom they were married to is always mentioned even if they are of no relevance. Also, I feel when men are mentioned in history  when making a scientific discovery their wives are not often mentioned. Not sure if there is actually any significance of this but I just thought that it was interesting how women’s husbands are usually mentioned when talked about in history and correlates to the theme that women were often not given credit/given less credit than men/ adding men alongside women give them more credibility. I would definitely like to know if anyone else notices this or knows more about this? It is just something I couldn’t help but notice

Overall, I really enjoyed this talk. Listening to history of women in science is very engaging and always interesting. I always want to learn more about the amazing things women have done!

One thought on “Dr. Breitenberger Reflection

1. I think it was a point that Dr Breitenberger may have made. The husbands often gave access to science to women who may have been left out in other circumstances. Marie Lavoisier is a particularly interesting case since he was 28 and she was 13 when they married. It definitely brings out just how different the times were then.