Diary of Systemic Injustices Showcase: Olympic Gymnastics

The topic that I thought was the most interesting systemic injustice was about olympic gymnasts and the harsh reality of the elite system. As multiple forms of abuse that USA Gymnasts went through uncovered, change and justice were needed. I have attached two articles describing the abuse gymnasts endured, and were taught was normal in order to reach their dream of competing in the olympics. This forced silence of the “authorities” (coaches, doctors, coordinators) reminded myself of the master-slave dynamic. The gymnasts were made less than, and had their lives controlled from every aspect. However, in reality the gymnasts were the one’s providing the victories and all the achievements for the country. This injustice has been apart of gymnastics since the very beginning, and as it is getting better, more progress still must be made.

While reading Morrisons, “Recitatif” I was reminded of the trauma and pain many children and teenagers face. I was very lucky to grow up in a  club where the coaches treated me with respect and cared for me. However, when I went to national training camps, that reality was not the same for other gymnasts around the country. I witnessed many coaches screaming at and demeaning there gymnasts that were just teenager’s. Morrison’s story reminded me of how harsh people can be and how much judgement occurs. I also faced this heavily growing up, and it is a problem for many women. The mistreatment of gymnasts is sadly a systemic issue that has been brought to the surface only recently. This mistreatment occurred internationally and at all ages and levels. Coaches believe they reign power over gymnasts and they can treat them badly without consequences. This was done by silencing and punishing gymnasts that would speak up and tell them that their opinions do not matter. This reminded me of Maggie in Morrison’s story, and the girls felt they were better than her and mistreated her without any consequence. Many gymnasts have and continue to speak out and share stories of the battles that they overcame. This systemic injustice happened for decades, which caused too many gymnasts to be abused and for their abusers to get away with it. This issue could be found from Olympians to gymnasts as young as 7 years old. Changes have and continue to be made as coaches have been suspended, and gymnastics as a whole is being analyzed to provide the safest environment possible for these athletes and to finally be given the justice they deserve.

I am thankful that current and former gymnasts have stood together and shared their stories. These articles and personal stories are one of the necessary parts to change this systemic injustice issue. Many are being held accountable for wrongful actions and a change of culture must happen within and around the sport in order to make progress. Thanks for reading!

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/olympics/ct-us-gymnasts-verbal-emotional-abuse-20180223-story.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/03/sports/olympics/gymnastics-abuse-athlete-a.html

2 thoughts on “Diary of Systemic Injustices Showcase: Olympic Gymnastics

1. Hello, I found your post to be very insightful. The injustices that occur in the sport of women’s gymnastics is both terrifying and disturbing. I learned much about the injustices that occur within this sport while watching the Netflix documentary, Athlete A. Thinking back on this documentary, and similar to your comparison of the master-slave dynamic, the gymnasts were also forced into a subaltern role that was repeatedly present as the gymnasts were silenced time and time again. And one brave gymnast who had the courage to speak up about the injustices was forced out of Olympic qualification, even though her talents were as good, if not better, than the rest. I have to wonder if men’s gymnastics has this same harsh and unjust power dynamic between the coaches/trainers and the athletes, or if it is largely feminism that drives this systemic injustice.

2. Olympic and professional level athletes often come from homes where pressure is high to perform. Parents recognize talent in their children and want them to reach their full potential and sometimes, the wants and dreams that child has are overlooked. When placed into a program, coaches know they have the power to continue develop an individual and are often looked up to by their athletes because of their knowledge and fame. This authority they have goes to their head and athletes are abused as a result. One would think that the Olympic committee, who can swiftly fine and ban countries, teams, and individuals would punish those that abuse their position.