Saturday, March 9, 2019 – London

I expected to be dragging through this day since our flight landed at 8 am London time (3 am Columbus time), but I think my general excitement to be in Europe helped keep me awake. We boarded a coach bus, and so began our journey of visiting scientifically significant sites and my personal battle of staying hydrated in cities with a scarcity of water fountains. We ate at George & Dragon in Down before visiting Darwin’s house. I love fish and chips, so my first authentic British meal was no disappointment. Across the street from the pub was the church that Darwin and his family attended. While his family is buried there, he is separated from them in Westminster Abbey. I was happy to walk a bit to get to his house; it was sunny and warm and felt nice to stretch my legs after a long flight in a middle seat. We were given audio guides to take us through Darwin’s home, which is my preferred way to explore. It was surreal to be in his actual home, and I especially enjoyed his greenhouse and backyard. Afterwards, we went to the hotel and I enjoyed my first night in London pub-hopping while getting to know my classmates.