Milestone #4: Final Product and Presentation to Client

Photo of Design as Word StencilImage: https://pixabay.com/en/design-rocking-chair-furniture-27914

Reflection on Presentation & Survey Feedback

I created my presentation in Google Slides (https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1tCIC-si4Z_WgtUQrSFB9A1m-yB4Ry1tBvT7IyVoA_cg/edit?usp=sharing ) and embedded my screencast within the presentation (screencast link- https://vimeo.com/279661090/7aa4d1c7cf ). I sent the presentation to my client and we teleconferenced while I walked through each slide. We chose to do the final meeting as a teleconference due to the distance involved; I live in Northeast Ohio and my client is in Athens, Ohio. My client had originally planned to be in the area for a face-to-face meeting, but recuperation from a surgery in early June has taken longer than she expected.

I spent a considerable amount of time creating the screencast of the product, an eighth grade Mitosis/Meiosis unit on Google Classroom and WordPress. The bulk of the presentation time was spent watching the screencast and talking about the product features with my client while viewing the video. My client was very positive about the final deliverables, and noticed the minor revisions made based on her feedback. I believe that the screencast is a helpful artifact for my client. The video overviews all the features and instructional resources and is something she can share with her science instructional team as well as administration.

The unit uses “technology tools to connect new information to students’ prior knowledge rather than to passively receive information” (“Technology Integration Matrix”, 2017) which is highly constructivist, and utilizes the current district LMS in a more transformative manner. According to Anthony (2012), successful implementation of technology initiatives is the result of complementary ““technology planning and integration systems” (p.339). By providing a very complete screencast, my client will be able to support her co-teachers in using CSCL/blended learning in their own classrooms.

The Qualtrics survey I created had sixteen questions covering all elements of the instructional product and design process. I also included four customer satisfaction questions regarding the quality and usefulness of the product. Every question response was at the highest positive level, including navigation/design and addressing the three learning problems (e.g. lack of engagement, content area gap, and meeting the needs of all learners). My client was “extremely satisfied” with all aspects of both the Mitosis and Meiosis units, and felt our weekly meetings were both well-organized and productive. The complete Qualtrics report, with graphics, is listed in “Appendix: Qualtrics Survey Report.”

The client presentation process, from survey to slideshow creation, helped me realize the immense amount of work involved in creating a quality CSCL/blended learning module. As a working teacher, I have designed quick blended learning units for my students that support art studio methods and integrate content areas (e.g. Language Arts, math). I do not have the planning time in my schedule to dive so deeply into crafting instructional products that fully leverage the transformational aspects of CSCL. Now that I am nearing the end of my Masters of Learning Technologies experience with The Ohio State University, I plan on making the time to revise several mini-units I made as part of MLT. I want to invest in my own practice as an educator, working through the same steps as I did for my client.

References

Anthony, A. (2012). Activity theory as a framework for investigating district-classroom system  interactions and their influences on technology integration. Journal of Research on Technology in Education, 44(4), 331-352.

Florida Center for Instructional Technology at the University of South Florida, College of Education. (2017). Technology Integration Matrix. Retrieved from: http://mytechmatrix.org

Appendix

Qualtrics Survey Report

Default Report
ESLTECH7289 Schroeder-Girbino ID Survey
July 13th, 2018, 9:56 am MDT
Q1 – Overall, how satisfied or dissatisfied are you with the 8th grade Mitosis/Meiosis Unit created by L. Schroeder-Girbino?

Bar Graph showing "extremely satisfied"

Q2 – In the client consultation, you mentioned that there were learning gaps between 6th/7th grade science and 8th grade science regarding Mitosis/Meiosis.  How well do you feel this instructional product addresses those gaps? Please explain your answer in the space provided below.

This instructional product is very well designed. Each learning goal is embedded into the instructional design. This instructional product is student centered and engaging for all learners and affords students choice regarding how they will demonstrate their learning.

Q3 – How would you rate the ease or difficulty of working with L. Schroeder-Girbino?

Bar graph showing "extremely easy"

Q22 – On a scale of 0-100, with O being total disagreement with statement and 100 being total agreement with statement, please answer the three questions below.

Chart showing mean score of 100 on all metrics

Q28#1 – How do you feel about the following aspects on the instructional unit? – Mitosis Unit

Bar graph showing "exceeded my expectations" 

Q28#2 – How do you feel about the following aspects on the instructional unit? – Meiosis Unit

Q38 – How did the weekly ID/client meetings function?

Bar graph showing positive feedback on meetings

Q23 – Three learning problems were communicated by the client (lack of engagement, content area gap, and meeting the needs of all learners). Please choose one answer regarding how well those learning problems were addressed by the Mitosis/Meiosis unit.

Graph showing all learning problems addressed

Q5 – Were any questions or concerns regarding the Mitosis/Meiosis unit (e.g. instructional materials, alignment to learning goals, assessments, navigation) resolved in a timely fashion?

Answer: Yes

Q6 – How satisfied or dissatisfied were you with the final answer(s) or resolution to your questions or concerns?

Bar graph showing "extremely satisfied"

Q7 – Overall, how satisfied or dissatisfied are you with the navigation and design of the Mitosis/Meiosis unit?

Bar graph showing "extremely satisfied"

Q8 – Please share any additional comments or feedback regarding our issue resolution process in the space provided below.

The resolution process was smooth. Open dialogue and keeping learners at the center of the design process was a shared mind set. The flow of the discussions and overall process was excellent.

Q11 – Overall, how satisfied are you with the quality of the instructional product?

Bar graph showing "extremely satisfied"

Q16 – Overall, how satisfied are you with the usefulness of the instructional product?

Bar graph showing "extremely satisfied"

Q17 – Overall, how satisfied are you with L. Schroeder Girbino’s ability to customize the instructional sites (i.e. Classroom and WordPress)?

Bar graph showing "extremely satisfied"

Q19 – Based on your experience with L. Schroeder-Girbino, how likely or unlikely are you to recommend further instructional design solutions with L.S.G. in the future?

Bar graph showing "extremely likely"

Q21 – Please share any additional comments or feedback below.

Lois Schroeder-Girbino did an exemplary job with this design process. The design process was detailed and creative. The mitosis/meiosis unit is excellent, and the client looks forward to sharing this with her students.