For Prospective Students

***Please note that I am now a full-time faculty member in the Department of Psychology, and I will be accepting new graduate students in the Developmental Psychology PhD program for Autumn 2019***

If you are considering doctoral study in Developmental Psychology, and you are interested in young children’s social and emotional development in the context of coparenting, fathering, the transition to parenthood, or maternal gatekeeping, I hope you will consider applying to work with me at Ohio State.

Students that work with me are afforded opportunities to publish first- and co-authored papers in major peer-reviewed journals such as Developmental Psychology, Development and Psychopathology, and the Journal of Family Psychology. I also encourage my students to participate in the entire research process – from study design to data collection, analysis, and manuscript writing.

Regarding conferences, I regularly attend the National Council on Family Relations conference, the Society for Research in Child Development biennial meeting, and the World Association for Infant Mental Health congress.

Graduate Student Meghan Lee at SRCD 2011

I encourage my students to attend conferences and present their work, and support these efforts financially whenever possible.

I take a “hands-on” approach to mentoring graduate students, which includes weekly meetings and participation in a group lab/research meeting.

Graduate Student Rongfang Jia with undergraduate students Carly Smith and Hana Rovin at the 2014 OSU Denman Unddergraduate Research Forum

Graduate Student Rongfang Jia with undergraduate students Carly Smith and Hana Rovin at the 2014 OSU Denman Undergraduate Research Forum

I also value the development of strong teaching and mentoring skills in my graduate students. For example, my students have the opportunity to develop their mentoring skills by co-advising undergraduate students on research projects.

Students that work with me are highly successful. Here is a selection of recent awards/grants they have received:

• OSU Graduate Associate Teaching Award (Sarah N. Lang)
  • SRCD Dissertation Grant (Rongfang Jia)
  • K. Patricia Cross Future Leaders Award (Sarah N. Lang)
  • NCFR Men in Families Best Article Award (Rongfang Jia & Letitia E. Kotila)
  • OSU Presidential Fellowship (Lauren E. Altenburger)

In turn, I have been recognized numerous times for the high quality of my advising and teaching. Awards I have received include:

• Siddens Award for Distinguished Faculty Advising of Graduate Students
  • Distinguished Undergraduate Research Mentor AwardMitchBob
  • OSU Alumni Award for Distinguished Teaching

111-1145_IMG