Volunteering

I was fortunate enough to volunteer at the BuckeyeThon Dance Marathon. This event was held in the Ohio Union, and I participated in various activities over the course of twelve hours. Along with several of my friends, I helped raise money to support children with cancer. This event was very popular across campus, and my scholars program had a fund-raising team as well.

Fundraising was the first step in participating in the dance marathon. Once the funds were raised, you were placed on a team and assigned a twelve-hour shift. I was on the Dunn Sport and Wellness Scholars team, and our team color was orange. We spent most of the day in and out of dance parties, crafting with the kids, and continuing to fund-raise through small games. Seeing the joy on the kids’ faces made everything worth it, and showed me that I have so much to be grateful for. This volunteer experience taught me that amazing things can happen when so many people come and work together. Students and community members of The Ohio State University fundraised $1,704,184.19 For The Kids treated on the Hematology/Oncology/BMT Floor at Nationwide Children’s Hospital.