Second-Year Transformational Experience Program (STEP)

During my sophomore year, I participated in the Second-Year Transformational Experience Program (STEP). I attended weekly meetings during first semester with my cohort group and mentor (Ty Shepfer), completed professional development co-curricular programs and a financial wellness component, and attended a STEP expo. I selected a signature project and submitted a proposal, abstract, and budget. My project is planned for summer 2022, at which time I would like to complete a civil engineering or urban planning internship in a large metropolitan area, ideally New York City.

This experience belongs in my portfolio because it is assisting me in my professional development and networking skills. Working with a mentor and peers outside of engineering gave me new perspectives in developing my signature project. Receiving funding is also a huge benefit of the program, and it will help provide me with an experience I might otherwise not have. Thanks to my mentor, I learned more about a broad series of topics, including time management, mental health, and the impact of social media. Participating in STEP broadened my skill set and encouraged me to meet new people.

SIGNATURE PROJECT PROPOSAL