First Year

My first year of college was eye-opening in many different ways. My courses challenged me like no schoolwork ever had before, and I was required to adjust the expectations I had of myself. Learning to stop putting so much pressure on myself was a constant battle. I was very fortunate to have roommates that I liked and got along with well who were also studying within the science and engineering fields. Having them as a support system at a time when my familial relationships were very strained helped me focus and stay on track. Living in Lincoln Tower also provided me with the opportunity to meet other honors students, many of whom I ended up sharing classes with. I also found friendships through Undergraduate Student Government, where my interest in sustainability grew rapidly. As far as my degree, I had enrolled at Ohio State engineering, undecided, but I applied to and was accepted by the civil engineering department, picking up a city and regional planning minor as well.

My first year brought unexpected endings and beginnings, a major one being the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the school year. This required improvisation and getting creative with how and where I learned. I did my best to practice healthy coping mechanisms and stress-relieving activities.

I look forward to my second year and hope to develop a better idea of what kind of jobs I am interested in upon graduation. I also want to learn more about myself so I can continue taking care of myself to the best of my ability.