Day 25 – June 23, 2015

Taking measurements in Nathaneal

Taking measurements in Nathaneal

My friend Saijesh

My friend Saijesh

The monsoon season made its point today, as the sky never cleared and a drizzle never ceased in Kodaikanal. At KHMS, Haley and I learned a lot about practicing medicine in a trust hospital set-up by being with Dr. Arun. The biggest challenge in taking care of the patients is their compliance, or the lack there of. Deciding on the simplest medicine that has to be taken the least frequent is the best situation. Even if the medicine is correctly proscribed, the patient will not get better if it is not taken as directed. The infections could even become immune to some medicines in the case of not finishing a course of antibiotics. He has also mentioned that charging a nominal fee for medication in a trust set-up can prove to be more beneficial that providing the medicine for free. Although the people have very little money, having to pay for the medicine encourages them to be more critical about taking it. This will have them have to see us less, and will save them money in the long term. As far as lunch goes, so many places are very expensive, and the cheap places do not fill me up. Wandering down the street where the locals hang out, I found Hotel Imran Biriyani. The restaurant barely looked open and I had to walk down stairs though a dirty hallway, but it was the best food I have had here since. After sitting down, with a random guy across from me, they laid down a banana leaf in front of me and served rice, somber, and a bunch of different sides. Eating with my hands is getting so normal that having to eat with silverware is quite a burden. I also got as much food as I could handle until I figured out that I had to say I had enough food before my stomach exploded. It has continued to rain here, but still I am going to have fun playing volleyball in the mud with the men from the observatory. Good morning to the states, and good afternoon from India.

Doughnuts and coffee

Doughnuts and coffee

Happy children

Happy children