Journal Three

Recently a few friends and I went to an Ohio State Men’s Hockey Game. While at the game, an animation appeared which involved racing Zambonis around an ice rink. This sparked an idea in our heads, what if we created actual RC Zambonis that we could race? We began discussing ideas and came up with the plan to build a functioning RC Zamboni together as a team and then we could separate, each building a Zamboni, and then racing them. This plan isn’t fully decided upon, we are deciding upon if an RC Zamboni is too difficult for us at the moment and have a backup plan of RC planes, but we want to go down that track. This is a project that reaches the engineering part of me that I don’t often have an excuse to use and it is related to my major. This relates to the goals of Original Inquiry, Academic Enrichment, and Leadership Development. We plan on discussing more about the project over winter and possibly working on it a bit, but nothing is set in stone. I plan on first discussing with them what kind of RC we are going to attempt to create, then once that is clear, I will research RC vehicles over the break, hopefully with some help from the others involved. I hope to have those two things done by the end of Winter Break, and then work on it periodically over spring break. I am very excited about this project. It involves a topic I have a genuine interest in, and it allows me to get hands-on engineering experience that I lack.