Artifact 1

During my senior year of high school, I completed my Girl Scout Gold Award Project. For my project, I chose to create cancer comfort hats for people battling cancer in our community. This project was directly inspired by family members who have recently fought a battle with cancer. I saw the need for these soft, comfortable hats after these family members told me that their heads often got cold at night while they were sleeping, but that they didn’t want to wear a heavy fleece hat. The hats I created are made from new or gently used cotton t-shirts that were pinned together, cut out using a pattern I created and then sewn together with a sewing machine. Because the hats are made from t-shirt material, they are soft, lightweight, and perfect for somebody to sleep in or wear around the house. Local businesses offered up supplies and a room for me to host a sewing clinic, and I am very thankful for their support and gracious donations. As part of my project, I hosted a sewing clinic to teach other girls in the community how to create these hats, as well as posted a YouTube video tutorial detailing how to make them. By the end of my project, I had created between 110-120 hats to donate to the Gathering Place, a local cancer resource center I had coordinated with throughout the project. It was incredibly humbling seeing what a difference a simple hat could make in someone’s life. The pride that I felt after donating the hats was overwhelming, I was so glad that I was able to provide some comfort to people battling one of the hardest things in the world. Through the completion of my Gold Award Project, I further explored and improved my leadership skills from the project design to the final completion and donation of the hats. Ultimately, this project taught me that I am able to change the world even with a simple idea.