Symposiums on Indigenous Languages and Cultures of Latin America (ILCLA) and on Teaching and Learning Indigenous Languages of Latin America (STLILLA)

On Friday, October 26, I volunteered at the Symposiums on Indigenous Languages and Cultures of Latin America (ILCLA), and on Teaching and Learning Indigenous Languages of Latin America (STLILLA) for an International Affairs Scholars service event. This event featured four days of lectures, presentations, dinners, and other activities associated with Latin American language and culture.  I was able to meet and connect with Dr. Megan Hasting, the Center for Latin American Studies (CLAS) assistant director, and talk to her about Spanish curriculum here at Ohio State and the nature of the ILCLA/STLILLA symposiums. One really interesting concept of the symposium was that the lectures and presentations were either in English or Spanish, depending on the language the title appeared as in the program. The symposium allows the presenters to choose whether they want to present in Spanish or English so that the presenters feel comfortable sharing their information and discoveries. Along with meeting Dr. Hasting, I also had the opportunity to meet other OSU faculty members of the CLAS department and guests of the symposium that came from over fifty different universities and colleges from around the world. Many of the guests would greet me in Spanish, and using the language skills I have acquired over the past six years of studying Spanish, I was able to have a conversation with them. This experience allowed me to use my language skills as well as network with faculty at OSU that could later help me with my Spanish minor or any other interests I might pursue in Spanish in the future. This conference was especially intriguing because I want to conduct research in comparative dance among Hispanic or Latino countries for my Second Year Experience Project for IA; attending this event allowed me to get my foot in the door with faculty who could potentially help me with this research or find someone else here at OSU who would be willing. I have always been interested in Hispanic and Latino heritage and culture, so I am glad I was able to experience this conference. Speaking in Spanish with faculty and guests made me realize that my speaking skills are not as bad as I thought they were after not having studied Spanish for a few months. I was also inspired and encouraged to take Spanish related classes next semester: two for my minor, and one as a literature GE. While I am not hereditarily Hispanic or Latino, I still enjoy learning and discovering news things that I had not known previously. This cultural passion ties in with my passion for IA because it revolves around many countries in both Central and South America and Europe, and also allows me to connect with people here in the United States who originate from these regions and celebrate their cultures and ethnicities. My experience with the ILCLA/STLILLA conference allowed me to expand my professional and educational horizons while also allowing me to practice a language I love and to learn more about the people I aspire to meet and places I hope go to someday.

One thought on “Symposiums on Indigenous Languages and Cultures of Latin America (ILCLA) and on Teaching and Learning Indigenous Languages of Latin America (STLILLA)