Artifacts

Pen PALS (Peers Advancing Literacy in Students)

This program demonstrates values that I hope to display and improve upon while being part of the program: helping others, caring for others, watching people improve and grow, and connecting with others. Throughout my entire life, I have desired to help others in any way possible, no matter how big or small the task. With this program, I am capable of helping elementary school-aged children in the Columbus area learn how to become better writers and to expand their ability as well as vocab, their understanding of grammar, and spelling. Although this program is not entirely related to my personal academics, it is extremely important to me because of the values it presents and because I have enjoyed every letter from Hayden, my 5th grade mentee. Letters simply bring joy to people, along with the other values previously mentioned; but this lost art form also becomes a renewed way to connect to someone in a more personal sense. I hope to become more involved in this program and run for leadership positions during my next four years here at Ohio State, but for now, the pleasure of being able to help and connect with others will be enough.