Hi, my name is Kelly Ross!  I’m a first year pre-engineering undecided major, and I’m hoping to pursue a music minor.  I am a Mount Leadership Society Scholar.  I am from Hudson, Ohio (which is between Cleveland and Akron).  In high school, I was a National Merit Finalist, the recipient of the National High School Choral Award, and I graduated with honors.  I was also captain of my swim team, a choir section leader, and I served as secretary and head of blood drive committee in my high school student government.  I plan to get involved with similar activities on campus; I am already a member of the Ohio State University Women’s Glee Club, and I hope to join a blood drive club and a musical theater group as well as some extra-curriculars related to my major. I am so grateful to have the chance to be in glee club, because being a member of a choir has been a huge part of my life, and I’m thrilled to continue that.  I also hope to participate in events at the Newman Center.  I’m not sure what type of engineering I want to pursue yet, so I’m not quite sure which career I will have yet.  My goal is to have some type of internship or co-op related to my field of study next summer (preferably near my hometown).

I am pursuing engineering because I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted to do with my life, and the people close to me encouraged me to use my math and logic skills for an engineering degree.  I have always loved math and solving problems, so being able to do that and help others as a career is my goal at this point.  My previous work experience was working as a host in a restaurant.  While it was not my favorite activity, I think hosting taught me important life skills about communication and hard work, which will help me in my future career and many other areas of my life.

I am really looking forward to helping my community through the Newman Center and the Mount Leadership Society, both of which I think will provide many opportunities for service.  My faith is very important to me, and so I value the chance to practice it by helping others.

I hope my ePortfolio will be a record of my time at Ohio State and everything I am part of through my years here.  Hopefully it will show the growth of where I start from to where I go.