Posts

Lab 1- Broodmapper

         For this lab, I used the website Broodmapper to examine the reproduction and growth of bees by following a 120-cell brood frame over 24 days, in 2-day intervals. I marked the status of each cell, and the stage of development of the bee inside, if applicable. The possible statuses were empty, egg, young larva, middle larva, old larva, capped, emerging, dead, nectar, pollen, and unknown. Overall, the hive I followed was remarkably healthy, with only two “dead” larva that I could identify. From this exercise, particularly from the tutorial, I learned how to easily identify the contents of a cell of brood comb, and the developmental stage of the larva within, when applicable. I was initially daunted, but after a few practice frames, the process became nearly automatic. 

newly laid eggs, one frame (2 days) after previous larvae occupants were capped over

 

 

My username on Broodmapper is my .#, Robbins.391. I worked alone on this excersize.

I would estimate that 95% of the eggs present on the first photo survived and emerged as adults.

The queen did indeed re-lay eggs in the empty cells- pictured above is frame 20, heavily populated with eggs (marked by the vertical oblong shapes) that was on the previous frame almost entirely capped- indicating that the larval occupants metamorphosed into pupae, matured into adult bees, and emerged, before the evacuated cells were re-populated with eggs. The fact that the pictures went from capped to occupied by eggs indicates that it took the queen less than two days to re-lay eggs.

Due to the overall health of the colony I examined, I do not believe this was a colony affected by pesticide. As I stated, I only saw two larval deaths, a figure I would expect to be much higher for a colony being impacted by pesticide use.