Parça General Osorio

image

It’s funny how much can be fit into one single day here in Rio. I find it hard to believe that there is seemingly such little time in the States to stop and enjoy your surroundings while still going about your daily lives, where in Rio here they have time for fun and work. After leaving the vigorous beach on my first day in Rio de Janeiro we were able to experience and immerse our selfs in the weekly cultural market known as the Hippie Fair. Every Sunday craftsmen and women bring their work; vivacious paintings, skillful leather goods and artistries only found in museums hang amongst the canopy of tree at General Osorio.

image

This is the heart of Ipanema, the last stop on the metro and social meeting grounds for the neighborhood of Ipanema. At the Hippie Fair I was able to get a breathtaking look at the people of rio. They are vibrant and terrible warm. They love to welcome you into their world and show you how to speak, how to dance, how to breath and relax like a Carieoca. They are embraceful!

image

It was hard,!I must say, to keep from spending my life savings in reals buying all the unique treasures at the Hippie Fair. Tent after tent displayed works, in particularly artwork. I met a man, he was selling his oil paintings in the middle of he square. He spoke very little english but understood much. He taught me the meaning behind his paintings and the history of the farmers and the plight of the poor workers against the harsh stratified class system of Rio. Although it was difficult, my heart was breaking thinking about their struggles, struggles so foreign in my sometimes shallow reality I could hardly grasp. I was impressed by this man, by his hardships, his expression and his artwork. Needless to say I purchased one of his pieces.

imageimage

Although the Hippie Fair is the most popular, Praça General Osorio is not just used on Sunday’s for the Hippie Fair it is used every day and transforms by the hour! Every Tuesday one of most vibrant markets of Ipanema takes place. The locals call it “Terça feira”, meaning “Tuesday market”. Local tropical fruits and vegetables, fish and meats can be bought directly from the fishermen and framers themselves. They are incredibly skilled and generous-they will let you taste all types of fruits, nuts and cheeses. At night the parça is flourished with several restaurants who establish their dinning rooms on the Portuguese stone on the fringe of the park. The canopy of trees is becomes filled with the aroma of grilled kebabs and meats. This is truly an amazing place experience every day of the week!!