Things I Wish I Knew Before Starting My PhD

In about a month and a half, I will be officially moving into my second year as a PhD student in engineering education. The first year has been a blessing in many ways, thanks to my very supportive advisor, peers, and the wonderful researchers on the project I am working on as a GRA. As I wrap up my first year, a friend who will start her PhD in July asked me: what do I wish I had known before starting my PhD? Here are my answers.

1. Identify a Reference Organization Tool Early

Whether you’re starting or already deep into your PhD, you’ve had experience with reading papers and writing your own work, inevitably needing to cite your sources. Initially, I used the old-school method: downloading papers, reading them on my iPad, and jotting notes in the margins. This approach worked well during my Master’s, but it fell short when I started writing a literature review in my first year. Without tracking quotes or organizing my thoughts, I struggled to find the necessary information when writing.

Learn from my experience: identify a reference organization tool early on and stick with it. Pull quotes or useful information as you read and organize them for easy access later. This practice will prove invaluable for writing papers, preparing for preliminary exams, and crafting your dissertation. If you’re unsure which software to use, watch YouTube tutorials or ask experienced students. Tools like Zotero offer plugins for browsers and Word documents, simplifying the process of saving papers and adding citations.

2. Balance Your Work and Life

As a new PhD student and novice researcher, you may often feel “behind” others in your program or field, leading you to work overtime to “catch up.” I often found myself thinking about papers while making dinner or taking notes on my phone while shopping. Luckily, my husband was there to remind me to enjoy life beyond my desk. Even if you live alone or with roommates, make time to relax and step away from your work.

One strategy is to maintain a to-do list, both weekly and daily, using a digital tool that syncs your lists. While too many items can feel overwhelming, scheduling time blocks can alleviate pressure and ensure you have breaks. Prioritize tasks by deadlines and stakes; tackle urgent, high-stakes items first. Remember, things may not always go as planned. Don’t stress over setbacks. My advisor’s reassurance that “life happens” and to seek help when needed has been invaluable.

3. Grace Yourself for Not Knowing Everything

As someone new to the field, I frequently found myself unaware of theories, philosophical paradigms, or how to write a coherent paper. Starting my GRA position with many expert researchers was daunting. I feared making mistakes or asking “dumb” questions, which hindered my contributions and learning. Instead of asking mentors, I spent extra hours figuring things out on my own, often with less-than-ideal results. This added stress and anxiety impacted my academic performance.

After my annual evaluation, I realized that a PhD is a time for training and growth, which takes time. It’s okay to make mistakes as long as you’re learning and progressing. Prioritize your mental health and seek help when needed. Remember, your PhD is just a few years out of many in your life, and you have a life to live beyond work.

Lastly, consider reading *Mastering Your PhD: Survival and Success in the Doctoral Years and Beyond* by Bart Noordam and Patricia Gosling. While your context may differ, this book can provide valuable insights and help set your expectations.

By keeping these points in mind, you can navigate the challenges of your PhD journey more effectively and enjoy the process of becoming a researcher.