Living Your Research: Lessons Learned from an Incoming Cohort Research Project.

I’m one year into the PhD program, and roughly six months into a voluntary research project. During the first semester of my PhD program, the incoming cohort decided to conduct a collaborative research project on our transition. In many ways, the experience challenged me to grow and experience research in ways that I haven’t before. In reflecting on the experience, there are three main takeaways that I’d like to share:

• Appreciate the real moments with your colleagues. Sure, the achievements and grandiose awards may be nice. While these may fuel the pursuit of tenure in the ivory tour, these experiences are not always what fuels enjoyment in our work or our lives. Live your work with your colleagues. Relish in the joys and support one another in difficulties. Build a genuine community that supports one another in their journey. Although the pomp and circumstance may be nice, it will never compare to the reassurance and growth that I have received from growing with another.
  • Enter research with an open mind. You may have a premonition of what the data will tell you, and an ideal way of analyzing it. However, it’s important to acknowledge that you are experiencing the journey with your participants and co-researchers. We conduct lengthy procedures and methods to ensure quality data. At the same time, data collection and analysis unveil a story and should be appreciated as such. Keep your plan in mind, and let your participants speak for themselves.
  • Microdose bravery in your research. Not every idea will work. Not every method will yield a resounding success. Sometimes, your conference abstracts will need to be pulled or rejected. When (not if) this happens, the pressure of perfection and the “publish or perish” culture within higher education may weigh on you. Don’t let it. Remember that you are not your accomplishments. Adventure into a new research topic. Collaborate with a new colleague. Research and implement a different method. Take solace in the fact that your bravery will benefit yourself, your colleagues, and your field. Take the risk – Be brave.

I came into this program being told that as a Ph.D. student, I would be learning to develop new knowledge. At this point, I’m not sure whether this encapsulates the entire picture. Research is about producing knowledge for the field. Yet, it’s also about constantly learning, growing, and serving others:

Research is introspective. Research is Collaborative.
Research is science. Research is art.
Research is public. Research is personal.
Whatever research means to you – as a researcher, you need to live it.