Tips for Academic Travel

I have been fortunate to travel across the U.S. for academic conferences and workshops as a graduate student and as an engineering education consultant. From my experiences, I’ve learned a few things about preparing for travel, being present and engaged in the content presented, and completing reimbursement paperwork. I’ve compiled the following tips for academic travel from my personal experiences that may be useful to you. 

• Know the booking procedures well in advance. Whether you are paying for your travel out of pocket or being supported by your institution, there are travel and lodging booking procedures that must be followed. These procedures can be dictated by your institution and/or the organization hosting the event. I recommend looking up these procedures four to five months in advance and creating a to do list around the booking processes.
  • Be intentional about your personal objectives. When preparing to go to a conference or workshop, I recommend taking some time to think about your personal objectives. Are you going to the event to learn about new techniques and innovations in your field? To gather feedback on your work? To network with other graduate students or professionals with similar interests? To find your next collaboration? To find your next employer? Whatever your objectives may be, consider how you will meet each of them while at the event.
  • Take notes on the back of business cards you receive. You will most likely be interacting with many people at the event and the conversations you have may melt together when you try to recall them after the event. When someone gives you their business card during a conversation, I recommend you write brief notes about your conversation on the back of the card to help jog your memory when you get home. If you don’t have a business card, take notes in a notebook, laptop, or even on your phone.
  • Take breaks when needed. Academic conferences and workshops can be overwhelming at times. I recommend taking 15 – 30 minute breaks when you need them during the event. While you may be tempted to go to every session that catches your eye, breaks and rest are important to keep you present and able to engage in meaningful ways.
  • Provide as much documentation as you can for reimbursements. If your institution is supporting your travel on a reimbursement basis, I recommend providing as much documentation as you can when filing for your reimbursement. Providing a clear history of your spending can only help in the reimbursement process. For example, it is good practice to collect and submit itemized receipts for all purchases along with any reimbursement forms required by your institution.