Second Semester Explore Columbus Assignment

For our second semester Explore Columbus assignment, Madi and I went to the famous Buckeye Donuts! This classic college eatery has a special place in my heart because it is the definition of a college restaurant and my family loves it. My family and I go every single time they come to visit and it always puts a smile on my dad’s face. So when Madi said that was where she wanted to go, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity. The history of that place literally oozes out of every brick in the walls. Its legacy hangs on every wall and can be seen in every newspaper clipping or t-shirt worn by a worker saying “Prince was here” on the back. And it lives on through every person that comes in and tells their friends and family about what a Buckeye rich culture it is right now. That’s why Madi and I wanted to go here. We sat at the classic belly-up style bar and had some city-wide renown donuts. The donuts are of course to die for and the service is just as great. The servers always have smiles on their faces and there is one man in there, who I assume to be the owner, and he never fails to put a smile on my face with his oh-so-70s groovy language. Right on!

Madi and I get along so well. As we did for our first Explore Columbus, we talked about everything from our finals to our families to our living situations for next year. Although this time we got even deeper, talking about friendships in college and how to look at them realistically and do what is best for ourselves and our mental health whenever we can because that is such an important thing to keep our eyes on not only in college but for the rest of our lives. She has taught me so much and shown me her incredible insight on so many topics, one could say “issues” or “problems”, that everyone faces at one point or another in life. These things don’t remain problems for long with Madi because she has the maturity, the strength, and the confidence to know exactly what she needs to do in every situation. It is really incredible and inspiring to see. She lives such a fun, thoughtful, and free life and I am so glad to be just a little a part of it. I am so happy that she feels comfortable to open up to me and respects and listens to me when I do the same because that is one of the beautiful things that comes out of friendship. Some of the things we talked about will remain between her and I but I can tell you that she has such a great head on her shoulders and I am so happy to hear about how successful she has been so far at Ohio State and all of the plans she has for ventures in the future. She is such a great decision maker and is mature enough to make the best decisions possible, I think, at most of the forks in the road that she has come across. She is ahead of the game in terms of getting on campus jobs. She is working at the Writing Center on campus, as an online grader, and an OA in the dorm she is living in next year. I think that is amazing! And she knows that too of course. She has a plan of success and she’s sticking to it and rocking it!

We would one hundred percent recommend Buckeye Donuts if you have not been there already. The place is always hopping with college students, the prices are incredibly reasonable and the staff seem so happy to be working at such a cool establishment. Madi and I had such a wonderful time together and the atmosphere that Buckeye Donuts embodies is so great for little talks like this like catching up with a friend. I wish Madi the best of luck as she moves on in her ACES and Ohio State career, and she knows that. I see nothing but success in her future and I am so grateful of the friend I gained through this program. She knows that whenever or if she needs someone to talk to I am always around and we have already established the fact that we are going to continue hanging out for as long as we are both at OSU!