The first part of the Honors and Scholars G.O.A.L.S. is something that I find very important. I have seen firsthand how rewarding it is to work with people who come from a different place than you do. I especially have a passion for interacting with people from other countries. I am already looking to study abroad and this winter I will be traveling with the London Honors Program. Over this entire semester we have been learning about many aspects of English history, culture and modern events. I find value in learning these things because learning about other people groups helps us to better understand the world we live in. I am also interested in traveling with my department or in the social sciences so I can learn about what I love in a new context. The English Conversation Program is also something I would like to get involved in during my time here. I would love to interact with people in an environment that promotes learning from people of different backgrounds. I am fascinated by the ways we can see and learn from different cultures and look forward to integrating that into my time here.

Ohio State has so many opportunities to get involved in research. Currently, I am taking a research methods course and I am intrigued by the challenge of creating research that is strong, valid and adds something to the field. I would like to start off with working with professors and faculty on research they are doing and hopefully be able to create some of my own projects. One great opportunity to do this would be the Honors Thesis. Part of the study abroad trip I am looking into for this summer includes the Undergraduate Research in Sociology course where I can spend time even before and after the trip working on a research question, so I am excited to be involved in research even in other countries. I don’t know exactly where my research ambitions will take me, but I do know that I want to get involved and dive deep into my field of study with my own original inquiry.

Part of being an honors student is that I love a challenge. I don’t want to just take classes that are easy for me just to boost my GPA, I want to learn something. I want the courses I take to be engaging, with subject matter I have to think about. In my Academic Plan I laid out classes that were interesting to me and that were high level. I desire to learn everything I can about my area of study, even in my general education requirements. Within each requirement I searched for courses that would somewhat overlap with psychology or criminology so that I would be interested and therefore want to learn and do my best in the course. As long as I am learning about what I want to do in the future and what I love, I think it will be easy to keep striving for a rigorous program and I think the high level classes will give me an opportunity to expand not only my knowledge, but my thought process that will be extremely advantageous in other endeavors.

Currently I am involved in a few activities and although it is my first semester, I am already eager to take a leadership role in some of these clubs. As I expressed above, I love diving deeper into what I love, and often this leads me to leadership positions in the student organizations I am a part of as well. This semester I played with the women’s rugby club, got involved with a campus church called H2O and got an on campus job. That was a lot for the first semester, but I am passionate about all of these things and wanted to jump in right away. In the future, I am interested in getting a job that would be more related to my area of study, especially with an internship at some point. Along with the research I would like to do and also clubs like the english conversation program, I think all these activities will help me develop the skills I need to be a leader in society.

Contributing to the community around me is something I believe is very important. I plan to be involved in “community engagement Saturdays” with my campus church where we go out and serve in Columbus. I really enjoy days and trips like these where I can serve people in my direct community or beyond. I want to look into more opportunities where I can do this, and even serve in prisons and corrections or even just urban areas because these are the people I have a heart for helping. I am excited to find organizations on campus that do this that I can be a part of and actively serve my community and the people that I want to eventually work with professionally.