First Semester Review

This semester has been one of the most challenging semesters in my thirteen years of school. Due to Covid-19, I began this semester completely online, which was extremely challenging to adapt to. It was certainly not easy for me to establish a routine at first. I struggled to find time to do everything that I wanted to, and eventually felt burnt out. But, after having a few weeks of no routine and no good time management skills, I completely turned things around after going home for a weekend to reset. I came back to campus feeling much better, and had created a plan for how I was going to get everything done, and have time for myself. After establishing those new skills and habits, I am now really looking forward to my next seven semesters here at Ohio State.

Taking that time to reset and change my habits allowed me to participate in many other things this semester. I gained a position on the Community Outreach Committee for the Buckeyes for Ronald McDonald House Charities organization, which has been a really great way for me to meet other people and establish good leadership skills. I also joined CRU, which has allowed me to find a community of other Christians and foster friendships with people in my dorm. Each week, I also attend a Virtual Shadowing session delivered by a group of doctors from Parkland Hospital in Dallas, Texas. These sessions have given me the opportunity to learn about a wide variety of professions in medicine, and have allowed me to determine which professions could be the best fit for me.

This semester I also went through the process of changing my major. I started college as a biochemistry major, because I really enjoy chemistry and biology and thought it would be a great way for me to combine the two. However, I have always been really interested in psychology and the study of the brain, so this semester I took a neuroscience class to see if it peaked my interest or not. Sure enough, I absolutely loved my Introduction to Behavioral Neuroscience class. So, I decided to change my major to something that I was really, really passionate about; neuroscience. I am so excited for all of the classes that I will be able to take these next four years, and am looking forward to hopefully working in a neuroscience or psychology lab next year.

Overall, although this semester and online classes were challenging to adapt to, I am so proud of myself for creating habits and skills that will continue to benefit me in the future. I am also proud of myself for beginning my college career well by joining clubs, and getting started on my pre-medicine track. I cannot wait to continue my college experience and am excited to see what else I accomplish these next four years.