Second Semester Check-In

Are you enjoying the major? Why or why not?

Which class on your current schedule do you think will be the most challenging and why?

Do you think you will keep your same involvement next year? Why or why not?

What recommendations do you have for improving the ACES program?

Have you enjoyed the ACES living-learning community in Smith-Steeb? Why or why not?

Have you had the chance to explore your desired career through internships, field experiences, etc.?

What is your favorite memory from last semester?

My mentee, Lyndsie Leipold, is majoring in Biology on the Pre-Vet track. It was nice getting to catch up with her. I learned that Lyndsie’s first semester at OSU was difficult for a few reasons, but things seem to be going better now. Her dog, Cooper, was recently approved to live with her in Smith-Steeb. He is such a sweet and comforting companion.

In response to the first question I asked, Lyndsie said she is still enjoying her major. However, it is stressful trying to complete all her assignments while finding time to relax. Her most challenging classes are chemistry and biology. They are both very tedious and time consuming.

Lyndsie would like to be involved in something new next semester. We discussed clubs that would not require too much commitment but would allow her to destress. I suggested drawing on her interest in service when choosing a student organization so that she can satisfy her desire for involvement and complete service hours simultaneously. In high school, there were many ways Lyndsie could consistently serve the community. Her favorite place to volunteer was at the horse stables. I do not know of anything like that here in Columbus, but there are other volunteering opportunities that match Lyndsie’s previous experiences. My sorority visited the Community Shelter Board last week, and we served dinner to families there. Lyndsie was excited to hear about this because she had helped in a soup kitchen before. She will consider serving at the Community Shelter Board soon.

One recommendation Lyndsie has for improving the ACES program includes making the service requirement more attainable. She has trouble meeting the requirement of two service events per semester because many events are on Wednesdays, which is her busiest school day. She suggests changing up the service event schedule so that events are on a variety of days and times during the week.

Lyndsie loves the ACES living-learning community in Smith-Steeb. She is surrounded by supportive and caring friends that have her best interests in mind. Her friends and neighbors even help watch Cooper when she must go to class or get food. I told Lyndsie what to expect next year when she is no longer living near the same people. I said it would be sad at first, but it just allows for more branching out and adventuring to different parts of campus to visit a friend’s dorm.

Lyndsie’s Pre-Vet plan has not changed, and she has thought about doing an internship in the future. She would shadow one of her family friends who is a veterinarian.

A tradition Lyndsie and her ACES friends started last semester includes pizza, movies, and games. In one of their dorm rooms, the friends stay awake all night laughing and enjoying each other’s company. I named Lyndsie’s favorite memory from last semester “A Frozen Fish Tale.” One very cold winter day, Lyndsie’s fish died. All her friends from the floor decided to go with her to buy a new fish. They took the bus to a pet store and found the perfect little guppy. When they got on the bus to go home, they ended up in another part of town. The friends got off the bus at a stop but had no clue where the stop was located. They walked the whole way home in the snow, carrying their heavy shopping bags of fish supplies and the new fish. Two days later that new fish died. Although Lyndsie was a little upset for the fish, she still loved having so much fun with her friends on their exciting adventure.

Throughout the semester, I plan to use this information to mentor Lyndsie by checking in more often. I can help her find service opportunities and keep her updated on ACES service events.