Marty Lewis Alumni Spotlight

Marty Lewis of Cleveland, OH is an alumnus of The Ohio State University and the CRC and graduated with a degree in Communications. He is now a Licensed Mortgage Loan Originator for one of the largest mortgage lenders the country. His interests include stand-up comedy, attending sporting events, hanging out with friends, getting ice cream and sitting around a campfire. He is engaged to his high-school sweet heart and girlfriend of eight years. Together they have three dogs: a six year old Keeshond and two Australian Shepard puppies. Of course, Marty’s favorite place on campus is our CRC drop-in center and his most memorable moment as a Buckeye was celebrating our National Championship victory with his old roommates.

“My journey from addiction to recovery was very humbling. I would also describe it to be well assisted. The number of people, groups and organizations that were willing to help out was impressive, the only thing that I needed to do was to get out of the way and humble myself. My willingness to try things that I have never done before was instrumental in my recovery. As well as being able to stay open minded to take advice from those who had more experience and knew more than I did.” Long-term recovery can mean a lot of things to different people. “To me, being in long-term recovery quite obviously has very little to do with substances and has more to do with how I structure and live my life on a daily basis. Today I have serenity and peace of mind knowing that just because I am clean and sober doesn’t mean that I am immune to the challenges and difficulties of life. The difference is that today I have a solution, an outlet and a support group that I can turn to.” Marty spoke very highly of the CRC. “The CRC enhanced my student experience by keeping me accountable, and helping me prioritize my life. It was in the CRC that I was challenged to set goals that before recovery would have seemed impossible to accomplish”.

As an alumnus of the CRC, we were interested in what his recovery looks like post-graduation. “My entire life has changed upon graduating, I got engaged to the love of my life, began an excellent career and I’m preparing for the next chapter of my life.  As my life changes and my environments change, so does my recovery. I began to notice the importance of my recovery more and more as life begins to progress and improve, because none of it would be possible without my recovery.” Marty wanted to let new members of the CRC that “the most important aspect of the Collegiate Recovery COMMUNITY, is the community. A community is only as good as the members that make it up. Commit wholeheartedly to the CRC, make it a priority, take a leadership role and you’ll be amazed.  I did and it changed my life.”