“Stay Present”

by Aleshly Castro, Undergraduate, Atmospheric Sciences

Image of Ohio State Stadium in the background with sunset light shining on it.

Ohio Stadium

I mostly take my photos for fun. I like to capture the essence of what I experience wherever I go. I find myself in these moments where I’m admiring our environment, which is filled with a range of subjects: flowers, animals, cityscape, time of day, weather, sounds, astronomical events, and many more. The art of noticing reminds me to stay present, aware, and to appreciate the good things that come our way. I must also give credit to my supporters, who have been appreciating my work along the way because they allow me to continue to do what I love. I hope that by sharing these photos, I can inspire people to take a moment to appreciate the positive in the smallest, yet beautiful, things, even if that’s a little honeybee.

Zoomed in image of a bee on a flower in a field.

A Honeybee resting atop a white Dutch clover in Worthington, Ohio, on June 1st, 2023. I was sitting at Selby Park when I noticed the abundance of bees on the field searching for pollen/nectar. I enjoy watching Mother Nature do its thing, and Honeybees are a crucial part of that cycle.

Image of tilting palm trees in front of a beach.

Photos taken at sunrise, looking towards the ocean, in Paraíso, Dominican Republic, on July 4th, 2023. Traveling to the motherland is always a special gift. Being able to connect with both Mother Nature and your cultural roots is an experience that is very healing to one’s soul.

Image of white and grey pebbles in front of a wave of water.

Photos taken at sunrise, looking towards the ocean, in Paraíso, Dominican Republic, on July 4th, 2023. Traveling to the motherland is always a special gift. Being able to connect with both Mother Nature and your cultural roots is an experience that is very healing to one’s soul. Image of white and grey pebbles in front of a wave of water.

Close-up image of a sunflower with two bees oni it and with background of other nearby sunflowers.

Honeybees on a sunflower in Grove City, Ohio, on July 30th, 2023.