Reflections on Naval Observatory Visit

Two men standing next to each other wearing suits and smiling.

Author Picture: Caleb Gonzalez

Caleb Gonzalez, PhD Candidate, English                           Irma J. Zamora Fuerte, PhD Candidate, English

Caleb Gonzalez: The event was an opportunity for me to reflect on the women in my life, particularly on both of my grandmothers. In addition, it was meaningful to be with other Latinos who have made significant contributions to television, news, and journalism. This experience showed me that my work is significant to the broader Latine community in the US.

Irma Zamora: Yeah, and reflecting on what motherhood is, it was significant to me when Harris mentioned

“your tias, your mamas, your comadres”

because… sometimes you think of motherhood in one way, as act in which someone who’s mothering and mentoring, that maternal kind of care for each other. It left me thinking: what does a comadre do? What does that relationship mean? It means that we care for each other. That’s what being a comadre is all about.

CG: Yes, and VP mentioning words like comadre, tias, madres, and abuelas was significant. Furthermore, we all know that she is the first African American and Asian-American woman to hold the office of Vice Presidency. She is a huge example of why it’s significant that we see people who look like us in those spaces of power, people who we can identify with our own culture.

IZ: We were both cognizant of these things as we entered the naval academy, thinking “Oh, we’re here, with all these brown people present! Could anybody imagine this?” while also recognizing all the harm that the office of the VP can and continues to do at the same time. It’s important that brown people step into positions of power, but it’s also essential to have these moments of recognition, even if it doesn’t necessarily signal the progress that we might want.

CG: Being invited to an event like this really puts into perspective that the work we do is significant. It’s not only important because we are representing, but it influences the work that we’re doing in our communities and higher education. At one moment, [Harris] had an immigrant mother speak before her, and I kept thinking about how this country has a stereotypical narrative about dreamers. A narrative that’s: “they wanna do these things” and “they wanna achieve something,” but that kind of narrative needs its complexities and multi-faceted structures to be understood.

Two women standing next to each other and smiling .

Irma (left) and Justina Machado (right)

IZ: I had some reservations about the event, but I agree with you. It was significant that they had her step up and speak. They gave her that platform, and it was heartwarming to have her experiences legitimized by going up there and not having a translator, letting her speak from her own self.

CG: I want to point out this meta moment. One methodology you and I use is storytelling. We incorporated our own mothers and people in our lives in this very interview, and this is a note on the power of storytelling as a collective and community-centered practice. It’s a strength, and it’s an asset to the stories that we bring to the table.

IZ: Last question, who were you the most excited to see there?

CG: I was excited to see the news anchors and talk to Ed O’Keefe, who is a White House correspondent for CBS News, because I’ve seen him on television. Much of the TV I consume about what’s going on in the government is reported by Ed O’keefe, and he asked me about my work? He asked, “What brings you to the Vice President’s house?” and I was able to tell him about my research, about my teaching, the work that I’m doing in higher education, and it was significant for me. It was also a reminder that I must communicate my work to audiences, not only within the walls of higher education, but outside of them.

IZ: Yeah, I mean, you were so excited to see him, and I’m glad you got to talk to him. I know that was a big moment for you. I was obviously very excited to see Justina Machado! I was about to cry as I got to talk to her about my own work, ask about the importance of shows like hers, such as “One Day at a Time,” about what happens behind the scenes, and why shows get cut out. She was candid in her conversation with me and very charismatic. I’m glad we both got to do this!