EVENTS – Fall 2020
Unapologetic Educational Research: Addressing Anti-Blackness, Racism and White Supremacy
A QualLab & Educational Studies Research Series
The purpose of the series is to engage our alums and general audiences in thinking about and reflecting on what it means to conduct educational research from a standpoint that honors Black lives in the research process, while also disrupting racism and white supremacy. Given the unprecedented moment we are all experiencing in our lifetime we are committed to shifting the landscape of qualitative research and using this research to shift our sociopolitical context toward racial equity and justice. Each OSU Alum will engage in a discussion with Dr. Lori Patton Davis, Professor and Department Chair of Educational Studies and Dr. Penny A. Pasque, Professor and Director of QualLab. This effort also aligns with the college’s Racial Equity and Justice Initiative led by Dean Don Pope-Davis. Registration is below and the event will be closed captioned. Also see an EHE story written on this event, presenters, and hosts/organizers.
October 1, 2020, 3-4pm est, Guest Alum: Dr. D-L Stewart, Colorado State University
October 22, 2020, 3-4pm est
November 12, 2020, 3pm-4pm est, Guest Alum: Dr. April L. Peters-Hawkins, University of Houston
Advanced Methods Institute – Registration now open!
The College of Education and Human Ecology (EHE) and QualLab at The Ohio State University are sponsoring a 3-day advanced methods institute entitled, Advancing Culturally Responsive Research and Researchers. The next one will be held June 2-4, 2021 in a virtual format (due to Covid-19). The goal of this event is to provide an opportunity for an open and challenging discussion of the ways in which research methods impact the cultural relevance and sustainability of scholarly research in the social-behavioral sciences. The institute will be comprised of a series of workshops, with each workshop focusing on a methodological issue (e.g., sampling, design, measurement and data collection, data analysis) that has key implications for the protection of cultural identities, traditions, and ways of life. Workshops will build attendees’ skills, highlight issues relevant to research among diverse populations, and employ examples from data sets that address issues that are culturally relevant.
This event is back by popular demand! QualLab Lunches are a series of lunches that offer information about an important qualitative topic such as anti-racist research designs, ethics in ethnographic research, how to obtain grants with a qualitative design, and more. The video recordings of past events may be found in our QualLab Videos & Trainings Section here.
FALL 2020 QualLab Lunches (virtual)
Registration information for each event will be provided here very soon.
- Wednesday, September 9, noon; Kwame Agyemang, (HS) – Researching the Importance of Black Male Athletes and Activism; Click here to view Dr. Agyemang’s talk.
- This event is in honor of the national #ScholarStrike and 2-day Teach In. For more information on this national movement see Inside Higher Education.
- Thursday, September 24, noon; Sara M. Childers, (Office of Diversity and Inclusion) – Interrogating Whiteness as a Researcher; Click here to view Dr. Childer’s talk.
- Wednesday, October 7, noon; Panel with Leslie Moore (TL), Ann Allen (ES) and Weidong Li (HS), Ethics and Qualitative Research; Click here to view Dr. Moore et al., talk
- Thursday, October 22, noon; Timothy San Pedro, (TL) – Researching with Indigenous Methodologies; Click here to view Dr. San Pedro’s talk.
- Wednesday, November 4, noon; Dave Kolodny (NVivo) – Introduction to NVivo. Click here to view Mr. Kolodny’s talk.
If you require an accommodation such as live captioning or interpretation to participate in this event, please contact QualLab@osu.edu. Requests made 10 days prior to the event will generally allow us to provide seamless access, but the college will make every effort to meet requests made after this date. A captioned recording of this program will be available within 7-10 business days following the event and posted to the Videos and Trainings page on the QualLab website.
Have an idea? Let us know at QualLab@osu.edu.