Meeting Called by: Pre-Optometry Club
Duration: 1 hour
Guest Speaker: Dr. Vakishan Nadarajah, Chicago College of Optometry- Midwestern University
- Dr. Nadarajah gave a zoom presentation about the CCO- Midwestern University
- History of COO was given, COO was accredited in 2020, being a newer university.
- Current class of 2025 profile was shared, a “Why Optometry” statement and an overview of the Arizona campus and its connection to COO.
- One Health initiative breaks down barriers between healthcare specialities, connecting optometrist to dentists, PCP, etc. This initiative is specific to Midwestern university and its offered programs.
- COO offers dorms to students- about 6% of all of Midwestern students utilize these as an alternative to apartments. There are also apartments on campus which students can use as well.
- Dr. Nadarajah does a virtual tour of the campus and its lay out, key buildings and labs, including the 3 proficiency rooms used for Mock Boards.
- Why COO: small class size, open door policy and all new technology are key points.
- SEE program: summer eye experience program on the campus, spending 3 days of exposure to the school, its staff and current students.
- COO curriculum, overview of service opportunities, and the COO dual degree program.
- The presentation completed with an overview of prerequisite courses, entrance exams and next steps to take towards applications and interviews.
- Dr. Nadarajah answered questions about: ideal applicant characteristics, diversity in each graduating class, his own experience working at COO, 4th year rotation, and residency after a 4 year program.