Junior Year in Review

This year was the most challenging year yet, both academically and mentally. The structure of online classes definitely made learning the material in my courses more challenging, and I definitely found myself having to work harder to remain engaged in my classes. That being said, though I didn’t finish this year with grades as high as I’ve received in years past, I’m proud of the effort I put forth in my academics while also balancing my mental health and extracurricular activities.

This year, I found myself really thriving outside of the classroom. I’ve continued the research I began the summer after my freshman year with Dr. Illysa Gordon from the Cleveland Clinic, and we are currently working on a project about environmental determinants of health. I also began virtual volunteering at the Columbus Free Clinic, which has been incredibly fulfilling. This is the one of the first opportunities I’ve had to connect with real patients and help them through their care process, and it’s made me really excited for my future career in medicine. I also have continued my involvement with Best Food Forward, and was elected to be the Chief Growth Officer for the following school year. We recently had a strategy meeting regarding our goals for next year, and I’m excited to see how the organization will continue to expand and impact more of the Columbus community. I’ve also continued working at the RPAC as a personal trainer, and will serve as the Lead Personal Trainer until I graduate.

My summer plans include working at the RPAC, conducting research with the Cleveland Clinic, volunteering with the CFC, taking Anatomy 3300, taking the MCAT, and beginning working on my thesis research. I will be working in the lab of Professor Rajendar Deora for my senior research thesis, and I will be studying the transmission of Bortedella pertussis, the causative agent of whooping cough. Trisha, Pablo, and I will also dive back into PowerHouse Ohio operations and begin planning for the following year. I’m excited to see what I can accomplish this summer, and to see where my final year at OSU takes me!