These resources are shared as part of a 2019 Your Plan 4 Health webinar presented by OSU Extension Educators, Melissa J. Rupp and Patrice Powers-Barker. Melissa works in the Fulton County office and Patrice works in the Lucas County office. Need to connect with your local Ohio State University Extension office? Here’s the list for each county.
Resources shared in the webinar:
- Enjoy the Summer Bounty 2019 PowerPoint used for the webinar
- Twelve Months of Ohio Produced Foods, placemat
- Look up individual produce for a summary for garden harvest and storing of home-grown vegetables
- Safe Handling and Storing of Raw Fruits and Vegetables, factsheet from Virginia Cooperative Extension. Page #3 has a chart of recommended storage location and shelf life.
- Infused Water with Ohio Local Foods factsheet
- Home Food Preservation
- Ohioline fact sheets or the Family and Consumer Sciences Food Preservation site (has videos on canning). Just a few of the factsheets that might be of interest (related to home food preservation)
- National Center for Home Food Preservation
- Using a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) for Family Meal planning, factsheet
Recipe ideas for seasonal, local produce (mentioned in webinar):
- Tomato Basil Bruschetta by USDA What’s Cooking Mixing Bowl
- Black Bean Salad and Shredded Carrot Lettuce Wrap by USDA What’s Cooking Mixing Bowl
- Bok Choy Wrappers by USDA What’s Cooking Mixing Bowl
- Oven Roasted Spring and Summer Vegetables from Utah State University Extension
The following sites have recipes that are user-friendly for all ages:
- Chop Chop Family recipes
- Food Hero Healthy Recipes by Oregon State University Extension Service
- Spend Smart Eat Smart recipes by Iowa State University Extension and Outreach
Utah State University Extension asks, ” Have you ever wanted to be a person who could walk into the kitchen, look in the pantry and refrigerator, and create a delicious meal out of what you have on hand?” They share a “create” series such as: Create an Omelet, Create a Sandwich or Wrap or Create a Pizza. Check out all their suggestions.