University of Idaho Extension, Professional Development Network
March 30, 2023, 1pm MT
Acknowledge the good and the bad
- Rose, Thorn and Bud blog, Live Smart Ohio
- What You Need to Know About Toxic Positivity, UW Medicine
- What’s Wrong with Positivity? Live Healthy Live Well blog
Be in the moment
- Mindfulness Activity: Three Senses Mindfulness Activity for Kids, Teens, and Grown-Ups by Blissful Kids
- Happify Video: Why Mindfulness Is a Superpower: An Animation. Narrated by Dan Harris, Animation by Katy Davis, December 2015
- UI Mindfulness – You and I Mindfulness, by Jamie Derrick, PhD including a (remote) weekly drop-in: https://www.uidaho.edu/current-students/vandal-health-education/initiatives/ui-mindfulness
Additional information from Jamie Derrick, PhD (email February 2023): The resources on mindfulness are available to everyone — faculty, staff, students and community. The focus on those drop-in sessions is basic, welcoming, accessible, simple practice. Noon-12:20 on Wednesdays (MT). I also have other resources if anyone is curious:
- Instagram page with uplifting reminders https://www.instagram.com/jamiederrick_mindful_phd/
- Soundcloud page with pre-recorded meditations that can be accessed at anytime https://soundcloud.com/user-768831280
- My Future Self Blog
- Worksheet, Shared Future Vision
- Set Intention for the day (4 minute min-meditation)
The paradox of now and later
- Now and Later: The Paradox of Living in the Moment and Planning for the Future Blog
Coyne LW, Gould ER, Grimaldi M, Wilson KG, Baffuto G, Biglan A. (2020) First Things First: Parent Psychological Flexibility and Self-Compassion During COVID-19.
Kumar, A., Killingsworth, M., and Gilovich, T. (2014, August 21). Waiting for merlot: Anticipatory consumption of experiential and material purchases. Psychological Science.
Leung, Mega. (2019). Tragic optimism: an integrative meaning-centered approach to trauma treatment. Counselling Psychology Quarterly. 32. 1-19. 10.1080/09515070.2019.1633497.
Lieberman, M., Eisenberger, N., Crockett, M., Tom, S., Pfeifer, S., and Way, B. (2007). Putting feelings into words: Affect labeling disrupts amygdala activity in response to affective stimuli. Psychological Science.
Neff, K., Rude, S., & Kirkpatrick, K. (2007). An examination of self-compassion in relation to positive psychological functioning and personality traits. Journal of Research in Personality. Volume 41: 908-916.
Neupert, S. (2020). Knowledge is power: learning more about COVID-19 can reduce your pandemic stress. North Carolina State University.
Neupert, S. (2020) Quiz: Pandemic stressbusters. Accolades Magazine. North Carolina State University.
Pearman, A., Hughes, M., Smith, E., Neupert, S. (2021). Age differences in risk and resilience factors in COVID-19 related stress. The Journals of Gerontology: Series B, Volume 76, Issue 2, February 2021, Pages e38–e44,
Polk, M.G., Smith, E.L., Zhang, L.-R., & Neupert, S.D. (2020). Thinking ahead and staying in the present: Implications for reactivity to daily stressors. Personality and Individual Differences.
Praharso, N., Tear, M/, Cruwys, T. (2017). Stressful life transitions and wellbeing: A comparison of the stress buffering hypothesis and the social identity model of identity change. Psychiatry Research. Volume 247: 265-275