- Choose the best options for this year’s holiday spending
- Ask your loved ones about their preferences
- Create a holiday spending plan (or commit to listing your spending this year)
- Identify your hidden holiday costs
- Make a plan for next year’s holiday expenses (Jan. Apr. June)
To help prioritize, asked loved ones ….
- If you could only choose one favorite activity for the holidays, what would it be?
- Is there a food dish, treat, or drink that you would really miss if it weren’t on the holiday menu?
- Do you have any ideas about simplifying our holiday schedule?
- Do you have any ideas about reducing our costs?
Handout: My Holiday Savings and Spending Plan. https://americasaves.org/media/dxjflmii/holiday-savings-and-spending-plan.pdf
Apps (there are many options, this is just a sample of some of the apps to help organize planning and spending)
- Santa’s Bag
- Gift List Diary
- Christmas Gift List
These food ideas are not to replace favorite holiday dishes but instead to think about easy foods to add to the holiday season – from the larger get together pot-lucks to other times like hosting out-of-town guests or planning meals when the kids are off school for holiday break.
- Double Layer Pumpkin Pie https://diabetes.extension.illinois.edu/double-layer-pumpkin-pie
- Decorative Vegetable Tray https://efnep.tamu.edu/recipe/healthy-holiday-vegetable-platter/
- Party Board Plate https://spendsmart.extension.iastate.edu/spendsmart/2021/01/11/party-boards-for-every-day/
- Fruit and Dessert Dip https://www.ndsu.edu/agriculture/extension/recipes/decadent-dessert-dip
- Other food ideas: https://lenoir.ces.ncsu.edu/2016/02/celebrate-with-a-dont-bust-your-diet-super-bowl-party/
Find Your Local County Extension Office: https://extension.osu.edu/lao
Rupp, M. (2021). Preparing for Holiday Expenses. Webinar. Ohio State University Extension.
Stefura, B., Scammahorn, R., and Kline, R. (2022). Give the Gift of Financial Fitness This Holiday. Live Healthy Live Well Webinar. Ohio State University Extension.
- Aderoiu, D. (2018). 5 Holiday Mistakes That Could Cost You. America Saves. https://americasaves.org/resource-center/insights/5-holiday-mistakes-that-could-cost-you/
- Dantus, C. (2018). Three ways to enjoy the holidays without going into debt. Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.(CFPB) https://www.consumerfinance.gov/about-us/blog/three-ways-enjoy-holidays-without-going-debt/
- Holiday Outlook 2022. PwC pulse survey. https://www.pwc.com/us/en/industries/consumer-markets/library/2022-holiday-outlook-trends.html
- My Holiday Savings and Spending Plan. America Saves. https://americasaves.org/media/dxjflmii/holiday-savings-and-spending-plan.pdf
- Personal Finance. Rutgers, New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station. https://njaes.rutgers.edu/money/
- Rutherford, D. (2011). Plan your spending to avoid holiday debt. CFPB. https://www.consumerfinance.gov/about-us/blog/plan-your-spending-to-avoid-holiday-debt/
- Scott, A. (2020). Ways to Stretch Your Holiday Budget. GM Financial. https://www.gmfinancial.com/en-us/financial-resources/articles/holiday-budget.html
- Woods, A. (2016). Hello Holidays Saving! Live Smart Ohio. OSU Extension https://livesmartohio.osu.edu/money/woods-485osu-edu/hello-holiday-saving/