American Factory

On October 20, I attended the showing of the Netflix documentary “American Factory” in Smith Steeb. The documentary was about a Chinese company coming to Dayton, Ohio to open a factory in a former General Motors plant and showed the clashes and differences between the Chinese and the American working lifestyle. The documentary showed the raw and real emotions and issues that the company and the employers faced while working.

The documentary gives people a glimpse of the relationships between foreign countries when it comes to jobs and business. Two countries sometimes don’t see eye to eye which causes a variety of problems that may or may not get resolved. After watching the documentary, I realized that either China has a harsh work environment or America has a too laid back work environment. To some people both statements are true and to others neither are true, but it all depends on the individual person’s beliefs and values. Watching this documentary intersected with a personal goal of mine, which was to find a way to better understand the labor relations between foreign countries. This gave me a better insight on how labor relations work around the world and how it affects the work environment and values of a company.