This year’s Ohio National Poultry Show, the largest poultry show in the nation, has gone virtual! This gives open and junior exhibitors a new way to compete and still be a part of the Ohio National. Information, including the catalog, can be found on their website at www.ohionational.org and on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/TheOhioNational.
The entry deadline is Saturday, October 17, with Class Champions announced Saturday, November 14 and the Show Champion announced Sunday, November 15. Show awards will be mailed the week after announcing the champions. There is no cost to enter.
For Open Show questions contact Tim Johnson at email@example.com or Newt Long at firstname.lastname@example.org. For Junior Show questions contact Tim & Mary Neviska at email@example.com or Clell Agler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attached are three Avian Influenza/Biosecurity poultry-related documents:
- ODA Media Release – March 29 – Ohio Working with Federal and Industry Partners to Prevent Spread of Avian Influenza ODA March 29 Release FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
- Avian Influenza: News Update, from Dr. Mohamed El-Gazzar, Poultry Extension Veterinarian, Department of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, OSU HPAI news updates 3-27-17
- Biosecurity for Birds: Social Media Resources for Migratory Season, from The US Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (USDA-APHIS) Social Toolkit for APHIS-B4B Migratory Season
Below are websites from USDA-APHIS with helpful information about biosecurity:
Backyard Biosecurity for Birds: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/animal-disease-information/avian-influenza-disease/birdbiosecurity
Cleaning and Disinfecting Checklist for Backyard Poultry Owners: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/animal_health/2015/hcard_checklist.pdf
Biosecurity for large flock/commercial poultry: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/pest-disease/defend-flock/defend-the-flock-toolkit.pdf
This information is posted at the Keeping Poultry Health and Biosecurity Resources section on the Poultry Resources page at www.poultry.osu.edu.
- Learn how to evaluate and select birds for meat and eggs.
- Learn how to quality grade meat carcasses and eggs.
- Learn basic handling and showmanship techniques.
- Prepare for OSF Youth Poultry Events – Judging Contest, Skillathon, Avian Bowl.
Saturday, April 22 in Columbus
See flyer for registration details – poultry Columbus Flyer-12vghl5
2017 Youth Poultry Clinic – March 25 at Fisher Auditorium, OSU/OARDC, Wooster. Registrations are to be postmarked by Friday, March 17. Space is limited. Jarrod Snell, Assistant Poultry Operations Manager, email@example.com, is the contact person. The link to this information is posted at www.poultry.osu.edu on the Calendar of Events page.
Lucinda B. Miller, Ph.D., Extension Specialist, 4-H Youth Development – Livestock, Companion & Small Animal Programs will be teaching a statewide Quality Assurance session at this Youth Poultry Clinic. They will also be discussing the Veterinary Feed Directive and Prescription Drugs as they pertain to youth with poultry projects.
Registration form: 2017 Youth Poultry Clinic-rmg36n