Congratulations to Maria Lonneman on being inducted into the Ohio 4-H Teen Hall of Fame with 3 other teens across the state!!
This is an extremely prestigious honor and we are very proud of you! The Ohio 4-H Teen Advisory Council members created this award in 2016 and recognizes outstanding teens each year. The awards presentation will be virtual this spring and the date is still being determined. Once we know more information, we will share for all to join and support Maria with the award!
Here is a calendar of events/activities happening throughout the month:
|January 6th||6:00 – 7:00pm||Volunteer Training: Mental Health 101||https://go.osu.edu/4HMHtraining||1 hour before|
|January 12th||5:30 – 6:30pm||Mindful Wellness||https://go.osu.edu/4HMindfulWellness||1 hour before|
|January 13th||6:00 – 7:00pm||Volunteer Training: Typical Adolescence vs. Emerging Mental Health Problems||https://go.osu.edu/4HMHtraining||1 hour before|
|January 19th||5:30 – 6:30pm||Youth Special Interest Club: Healthy Body Healthy Mind (series)||https://go.osu.edu/HealthyMindsSPIN||January 14th|
|January 20th||6:00 – 8:00pm||Volunteer Training: Trauma Informed Approaches||https://go.osu.edu/4HMHtraining||1 hour before|
|January 27th||6:00 – 7:00pm||Volunteer Training: Suicide and Non-Suicidal Self Injury||https://go.osu.edu/4HMHtraining||1 hour before|
|February 2nd||5:30 – 6:30pm||Youth Special Interest Club: Healthy Body Healthy Mind (series)||https://go.osu.edu/HealthyMindsSPIN||January 14th|
|February 9th||5:30 – 6:30pm||Youth Special Interest Club: Healthy Body Healthy Mind (series)||https://go.osu.edu/HealthyMindsSPIN||January 14th|
|February 16th||5:30 – 6:30pm||Youth Special Interest Club: Healthy Body Healthy Mind (series)||https://go.osu.edu/HealthyMindsSPIN||January 14th|
|February 23rd||5:30 – 6:30pm||Youth Special Interest Club: Healthy Body Healthy Mind (series)||https://go.osu.edu/HealthyMindsSPIN||January 14th|
For more information:
Join Ben Philip on this animated journey as he talks to kids about identifying, managing and generally destigmatizing bed bugs around the house, school, library and other locations.
Check it out through the link below:
Are you interested in learning about STEM? The STEM Design Team has created a page with a variety of subjects!
See the link below for STEM resources to check out.
Ohio’s Junior Fair Board Members…
You are invited to join in a 2021 OFMA Junior Fair Conference “live discussion” on Saturday, January 9th at 10:00 a.m. It may not fully replace the excitement and interactions that you would have enjoyed if attending the OFMA Junior Fair Conference in person, but we certainly hope that it will provide an opportunity for your to share a few ideas from your fair – and pick up a few ideas from other fair from across the state. The live discussion will be held using a Zoom platform, with participants in breakout rooms to speak with fellow JFB members about a single topic. The topics, and a brief description, are listed below. We certainly encourage JFB members from a given fair to spread themselves out, if possible, in order to contribute on a number of topics.
Simply visit www.go.osu.edu/JFC2021Discussion and register for the topic of your choosing – it should only take a minute or two!… Selection of topics is listed below! We ask that you register by no later than noon on January 4th, so that we may prepare login and discussion materials for you. You’ll receive an email with details to login a few days in advance of the discussion. Session space is limited, so be sure to register early in order to get the topic of your choosing! =)
- CLOVERBUDS: They may be small, but they bring lots of excitement to the fair. Tell us how you include Cloverbud-aged youth in fair activities and fun. How do you keep them coming back until they are old enough to be an exhibitor?
- COMMUNITY SERVICE: Thinking about service activities that can be created during the week of fair, what are some creative community service activities that you performed, or that you think that Junior Fair Boards should consider offering?
- COVID CHANGES: How did you make social distance fun at your fair? Did you make some changes in 2020 by necessity, that you may keep moving forward? Share your ideas for what activities we can safely plan for 2021 or easy modifications you can make to keep everyone safe while still providing the fun that everyone expects at the county fair.
- DONOR RECOGNITION: Donors, sponsors and buyers play a very important role in the fair. How do you ensure that they know they are appreciated? What creative ways have you found to express appreciation?
- EXHIBITOR FUN: What activities or event do you offer during fair week just for exhibitors? How do you introduce some fun amongst the many competitions offered at the fair? Tell us how to focus on fun during the fair!
- FAIR AWARDS: What does your county do for awards, beyond rosettes and trophies? What have your exhibitors enjoyed most, and what new items have you introduced? Share ideas for creative award items that will get your junior fair exhibitors excited!
- WISH YOU HAD KNOWN: Now that you have experience as a Junior Fair Board member, what do you wish you had known sooner? What would you share with other members to make their experience better or more impactful?
- WHY DO YOU DO IT: Why do you love your role on the Junior Fair Board, and why do you love the work that comes along with being on the board? What makes the Junior Fair Board special?
In addition to the live discussion opportunity on January 9th, a variety of recorded informational sessions will be made available to you in the coming weeks. These sessions, which would have been presented to you during the annual Junior Fair Conference, will be recorded, posted online, and links will be shared with you. Your board may choose to view them individually, or they may be used as a part of your training meetings throughout the year. Just because we couldn’t bring you to Columbus for training, doesn’t mean that we can’t make the training available to you… We hope that you will find these resources to be valuable in preparing you to serve in your role as a Junior Fair Board member in 2021!
Wishing you the very best!
Junior Fair Conference Planning Committee Chair
Extension Educator, 4-H – Licking County
District 6 Director – Representing the Hartford Independent Fair
Junior Fair Conference Chair, Ohio Fair Managers Association
The Licking County Extension Office is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with reduced staffing patterns. We encourage you to make an appointment in advance of arriving to our office when possible, and ask that you wear a facial covering while inside the office. We continue to work remotely, when not in the office. I am scheduled to be in the office on Wednesday and Thursday each week.