4-H members, volunteers and OSU Extension staff joined Portage County Commissioners on Thursday, March 2nd to present our County 4-H Program and for the Commissioners to Proclaim “Ohio 4-H Week”!
We want to thank our County Commissioners for their constant support of our Extension Office and 4-H Program in Portage County! We also want to thank our Portage County Rangers 4-H Club for presenting about their experiences with our shootings sports program.
Pictured left to right include (Back row): Angie Arnold – Ag & Natural Resources Educator, Hannah Kennedy – OSU Extension Intern, Kim Hoffman – 4-H Volunteer, Cliff Hoffman – 4-H Member & Jr Leader Instructor, Jeff Hoffman – 4-H Member & Jr Leader Instructor, Brenna Sampson – 4-H Member, Belinda Sasala – 4-H Volunteer, Shooting Sports Coordinator, and Head Advisor, Vi Barker – 4-H Volunteer, (front row): Tony Badalamenti – Commissioner, Ashley Hughey – 4-H Educator, Jesseca Housel – 4-H Educator, Sabrina Christian-Bennet – Commissioner, Mike Tinlin – Commissioner.
Portage County Lamb 4-H Members, we have some exciting things to share!
Lamb Clinic Flyer
Portage County Sheep Committee Housing Form
$25 per lesson and they usually last an hour. I’m adding a fri. class at 4 or 5 and mon class. I’m in Atwater but I’ll go to your location if there is 4 to 5 students.
Thanks to Tim McDermott, Ohio 4-H is pleased to offer Backyard Poultry Biosecurity
- With concerns are around HPAI and poultry rising, especially as we approach fair season, good biosecurity practices are very important! Learn about health risk and biosecurity practices specific to poultry projects with Dr. Tim McDermott! Youth and adults are welcome to join us on April 5th from 5:30-7:00pm on Zoom (Zoom link and details below).
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 975 1045 5262
One tap mobile
+16468769923,,97510455262#,,,,0#,,730686# US (New York)
Ohio Farm Bureau’s signature ag literacy and workforce development program, ExploreAg, offers free week- and day-long immersion programs for high school students. In ExploreAg, teens learn about agriculture and related STEM fields from industry experts, scientists, and educators. Participants visit producers like Smuckers, manufacturers like John Deere, and
research laboratories at OSU; develop their leadership and collaboration skills; and prepare for college and career.
ExploreAg 2022 Weeklong Camps:
- OSU Columbus Campus – June 19-24
- ATI – June 26 – July 1
- University of Findlay – July 10-15
ExploreAg 2022 Weekend Camps:
- Central State University – July 22-24
- OSU Columbus campus – July 29-31
- Hocking College – Aug. 4-7
Apply by April 8, 2022. The 2022 ExploreAg flyer is available here.
Other good information on livestock can be found on the extension team pages:
Just a few things regarding OSF:
- Because the Juneteenth holiday is close to the previous deadline, OSF has changed the deadline for livestock entries to June 21st (instead of June 20th)
- Please note that the dog show is much earlier (~2 weeks before fair opens)
- The Jr Swine Show requires market hogs to have an 840 tag and a premise ID
The schedule has been posted at: https://ohiostatefair.com/agriculture-livestock/livestock-schedule/
Species department rules, entry info, and exhibitor info/forms can be found at: https://ohiostatefair.com/agriculture-livestock/livestock/
Also, please remind your youth as enrollment season approaches, they MUST be enrolled in the project they want to exhibit at the state fair, even if the county doesn’t offer it at fair (i.e., swine breeding).
Happy Monday! 😊
Elizabeth Share, MS
Extension Specialist, 4-H/Youth Development
Livestock and Food Animal Programs
College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences
Ohio State University Extension
222 Animal Sciences Bldg, 2029 Fyffe Ct, Columbus, OH 43210