Teen Leadership Council will be hosting a virtual Achievement Form Workshop for 4-H members statewide!
- October 1, 2023 (6:00-7:30 p.m. on Zoom): An informational session will be held, providing a basic overview of the Achievement Form, giving introductory tips for completion, and sharing about potential opportunities available to members who complete and submit their forms.
- Must register at https://go.osu.edu/AchForm2023 by September 29 to receive Zoom information for the workshop.
- This session will be recorded for those who cannot attend in live-time.
In Portage County, we use the Acheivement Form for Trips and Opportunties selections and for the Portage County 4-H Endowment Scholarship. If interested in these additional opportunites, now would be a great time to learn about the form! (It is never too early to start tracking your 4-H experiences!!)
More information here: Achievement Record Flyer FINAL
A simple, handwritten thank you note goes a long way to express gratitude for time, service, sponsorship, donation, etc. “A lot of respect can be earned or lost by our ability to say thanks”. We want to make a positive impact! We do encourage a handwritten note versus a typed one. Write as neatly as possible in blue or black ink!
Need a refresher on formatting? No problem.
- Begin with a greeting, like “Dear Mr. Jones,” or “Dear Insert Organization Here”.
- Express appreciation and why the thank you note is being written. Be specific. Don’t be afraid to go into detail about how the item/gift will be used.
Example 1: “Thank you for serving as a class sponsor for the 2023 Portage County Jr. Fair Dairy Show. The duffle bag I received for first place is very much appreciated and will travel with me to future 4-H events! “
Example 2: “Thank you so much for purchasing my 4-H market rabbit at the 2023 Portage County Livestock Sale. The Portage County Fair has been a highlight of my summer since joining 4-H six year ago. The money received will be placed in a savings account to help pay for college. Thank you for your support of the Portage County 4-H Program and my 4-H project.“
- Express appreciation/acknowledge generosity again. “Thank you again for your support of Portage County 4-H and the Portage County Jr. Fair. Your kindness is greatly appreciated.” -OR- Thank you again for your generosity and for supporting the 2023 Portage County Jr. Fair. I hope to see you again next year!”
- Closing: “Sincerely, _______”. Make sure the youth member signs their name.
- Encourage youth to be prompt in getting the thank you mailed- a suggestion is two weeks or less from the date the award, monetary gift, etc. was received.
- Make sure the nature of the thank you is positive! We do not want to criticize or express the desire for a different or additional gift.
- Personalize it: add a photo to the thank you, thank the buyer/donor the following year on a poster above the animal or exhibit, etc. Counties may already have buyer/donor appreciation gifts (i.e. goodie bag, etc).
- Make sure the youth member has the correct address for the individual/business.
- Do not assume everyone is a professional at writing thank yous! Go over formatting at a club meeting, committee meeting, or QA event. It’s also helpful to provide additional resources to families and/or advisors.
Adapted from TLDT Ashlee Meardith, Trumbull County 4-H Eductor
2023 Booth Reservation Forms due August 4th, by 4:00pm to the Portage County OSU Extension Office. Drop off your form to our office, our drop box to the right of the door, or email completed form to email@example.com.
Portage County 4-H Life Skills Grade Day Schedules
Please note that ALL times are approximated.
Please be courteous to our judges and show up to register about 15 mins prior to your scheduled time.
These schedules will be edited LIVE as we receive updates, check in often to see changes by clicking the links below. If you are no longer able to attend grade day and need to cancel, you see an open slot earlier in the day and would like to move, or you did not RSVP and would like to be added, please call the Extension Office at 330-296-6432 or email Jesseca Housel at Housel.firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 4:00pm July 14th, 2023.
Advisors of Life Skills youth, please do us a favor and review these schedules for accuracy.
- Food & Nutrition Projects: July 15, 2023, 10:00am-12:00pm, Portage County Randolph Fair Merchants Bldg., CLICK HERE FOR SCHEDULE
- General Projects, Shooting Sports & Natural Resources Projects: July 15, 2023, 1:00-5:00pm, Portage County Randolph Fair Merchants Bldg., CLICK HERE FOR SCHEDULE
- Cloverbud Circles: July 15th, 2023, 2:30pm, Portage County Randolph Fair Pavilion, Learn more info here!
- Sewing & Clothing Projects: July 20th, 2023, 12:00-5:00pm, Portage County Randolph Fair Ray Beech Hall & Entertainment Center, CLICK HERE FOR SCHEDULE
- Awards Ceremony: July 20th, 2023, 6:30pm, Portage County Randolph Fair Entertainment Center (ALL STATE FAIR DELEGATES)
- Style Review: July 20th, 2023, 7:00pm, Portage County Randolph Fair Entertainment Center (directly following awards ceremony)
- August 1st: Deadline for Life Skills Committee Scholarship
- August 27th: Life Skills Committee Bake Sale at the PC Randolph Fair
Need help understanding what to bring with you on Grade Day? Look HERE!
If interested in participating, please see the following documents for rules and requirements:
Reminder: LIFE SKILLS SCHOLARSHIP DUE AUGUST 1st LifeSkills_Scholarship_2023
Check out these webinar recordings regarding helpful information for Beef, Sheep/Goats, and Poultry!
- Nutrition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvQnDfQYgHs
- Health: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhgB-Kl6uLM
- Welfare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilt5S2JAC_s
Sm. Ruminant (Sheep/Goat): https://ohio4h.org/animalsciences/small-ruminant-sheepgoat
- Nutrition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpgqXVgp5-g
- Health: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyXkKJlvbvs
- Welfare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szA-7bqNFNE&t=1s
- Nutrition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VuWuEiIZk4&t=1s
- Health: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTlroph910g
- Welfare (Part 1): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGebu8TIDqA
- Welfare (Part 2): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DVbY6f08Es
Portage County Randolph Junior Fair King & Queen Contest – SEE JR FAIR PAGE FOR APPLICATION
Entries must be received by July 13, 2023
Randolph Fair King & Queen Contest
c/o Jr. Fair Board Advisors
P.O. Box 213 Randolph, Ohio 44265
- For boys and girls 16-21 years of age as of the 1st day of the present year’s fair. Contestants may not be married, nor have been married, nor borne or fathered a child.
- Contestants must be an active member of one of the organizations active in the Randolph Fair.
- Contestants must have actively participated in the 2022 Randolph Jr. Fair.
- The King and Queen and court are required to make daily and nightly appearances on the midway, at judging events, grandstand area and exhibit areas in proper attire-sashes and proper dress. If for any reason a contestant cannot accept this responsibility, he/she should not compete.
- Complete judging of the King and Queen contest will be held on July 24, 2023 at the fairgrounds, Fair Office. Contestants must arrive by 6:45p.m. or they will be ineligible to participate. The contest starts at 7:00pm.
- The King and Queen will be announced during opening ceremonies on Tuesday, August 22. Ceremony starts at 11:00am at the Main Gate and then moves into the Entertainment Center.
- Participants should wear simple dress-up or interview style clothes, not formal wear for the contest.
- The King and Queen shall maintain the dress and poise of their position during the entire fair and during any activities they are representing the title.
- The Junior Fair Board Advisors and/or the Senior Fair Board have the right to revoke the crown, title, and accompanying honors of the Fair King, Queen, or a court member at anytime during the year for any action deemed improper for a Portage County Fair King or Queen or member of the court.
- List only activities from Jr. High (7th) on up.
Entry forms are available at the Fair Office during office hours (330)325-7476, on-line @ randolphfair.com, under the Jr. Fair Board tab or at the Portage County Extension Office (Please remember to call before going to the Extension Office (330)296-6432, since they have limited hours)
The 2023 Jr. Fair King and Queen will be awarded $500 scholarships each from the Portage County Randolph Fair Board of Directors.
Contestants and their applications may be scored on all or part of the following areas: Activities, Personality, Poise & Personal Appearance, Fair Participation, and General Fair Knowledge.
PLEASE REVIEW: Tips for Portage County 4-H Judging
We follow the same guidelines as the Ohio State Fair: nonlivestockguidebook
- On the Non-Livestock Guidebook website, scroll down until you see the different day titles.
- Click on the Day that fits your project area. (Each project is listed on the document if you are unsure which day you fall on)
- If you are taking a Self-Determined Project, here is a guide to know which day you should be looking for: SD Tip Sheet
- If your self -determined project is not on this list, you may best fit with Self Determined Project Day.
- Within these participation guidelines it will list general tips to know, what to bring with you, and for some, an example of the judging sheet.
4-H Changes for the 2023 Ohio State Fair
PLEASE REVIEW the 2023 Summary of Changes found here as they MIGHT apply to you: https://ohio4h.org/nonlivestockguidebook
Portage County Judging Sheet Example: (Sewing Projects- look at example on website link above)
Food & Nutrition: Food & Nutrition Portfolio Interest Areas
Wood Working: Woodworking Guidelines
Calling All Ohio 4-H’ers!
The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) invites Ohio 4-H members to explore the state’s rich natural wonders through hands-on activities that fulfill the requirements of select project books.
4-H members will disperse throughout Alum Creek State Park to participate in workshops led by expert ODNR staff and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers volunteers.
HEART OF THE GREAT OUTDOORS: 4-H PROJECT DAY
Hosted by ODNR
ALUM CREEK STATE PARK
Saturday, June 17, 2023
10 am to 4 pm
Geology: Can You Dig It?
Why Trees Matter
Outdoor Adventurer: Beginning Fishing
Explore the Outdoors
Get Started in Art
RSVP by scanning the QR code or by navigating to
If you have any questions, please contact Jordan Conner at email@example.com.