A Moment Of Magic

It’s hard to believe this photo was taken nearly 3 years ago today. (Yes, princesses eat hotdogs too, but only after the event has ended.) It all began freshman year when a girl in my hallway said, “hey I’m going to a club meeting, wanna come with?” I asked what it was and she said A Moment of Magic, to which I replied, “I don’t know anything about magic, but sure.” I still laugh at this interaction. This student organization isn’t about card tricks; they create a magical atmosphere where children with medical conditions aren’t defined by them.

Bringing some added joy to the kids who believe their icons have just visited them, this group seeks to spark happiness. However, what goes on beyond the costumes, wigs, and makeup is hours of training so that both characters and supportive staff (like myself as a ‘magic maker’ and photographer) are prepared to answer tough questions, interact with families in a sensitive manor, and give event support. I was a part of getting the new OSU chapter of AMOM off the ground for my first two years of college. After this experience, I went on to participate in BuckeyeThon so to fundraise. As a psychology major, I believe in the power of psychosocial services. Positive emotions can facilitate the healing process on so many levels.

https://www.amomentofmagic.org/