This week I wanted to take the opportunity to go over resources that are available to you as an Ohio State student! Being a pharmacy student at Ohio State means that you get the small close-knit community of the College but also all of the resources of large institution! Here are my top five underrated resources offered by Ohio State!
5. Dtix: Dtix provides students with discounted (and sometimes free!) tickets and restaurant gift cards to places around Columbus. Some examples include gift cards to Cameron Mitchell Restaurants and Jenis, Blue Jackets and Columbus Crew tickets, BalletMet tickets, concert tickets, passes to Cedar Point and more! It’s a great way to get out, have fun and explore Columbus, while still being budget friendly.
4. Inter-professional Networking: Ohio State has just about every professional school you can imagine; from Pharmacy, to Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, a graduate program in Social Work, and many more. These are your future colleagues, and learning with and from them during school, and the unique role each plays in patient care is a wonderful benefit. In addition to our curriculum which incorporates several inter-professional experiences and collaborative events each semester, Interprofessional Council (IPC) hosts events and socials for students to get to know one another and have fun outside of the classroom.
3. The Wexner Medical Center and Nationwide Children’s Hospital (and more): Ohio State is attached to a large, comprehensive research medical center and has close ties to one of the top 10 Children’s Hospitals in the country. As a student, you’ll have access to these medical centers, and the opportunity to hear from experts at them, and learn from them hands-on in the classroom and on rotations (that are quite literally right across the street). This is a resource that very few other schools have the privilege of, it provides you with exposure to a variety of areas of pharmacy and unique learning opportunities to help you succeed in the future. Additionally, Columbus has the OhioHealth and Mount Carmel networks of hospitals, which also provide unique rotational experiences, content experts and a plethora of internships.
2. RPAC/Rec Sports: The RPAC is a state of the art facility that includes a large weight area, several cardio areas, a track, basketball and racquetball courts, and provides a full schedule of free group fitness classes. There are several other gyms on campus (the ARC for example has rock climbing), as well as soccer fields and tennis courts, that are also great resources for students. In addition, Ohio State offers many intramural sports for students looking to get involved that way. One of my favorite ways to meet classmates and other professional students has been through intramurals—even if sports aren’t your thing, it is always fun to have classmates come to the games and cheer us on (my roommate has been known to bring Capri-Suns as post game snacks for our soccer team).
1. Buckeye Football Tickets: As a student you get discounted football tickets! While football may not be everyone’s favorite past time, at Ohio State it is so much more than just a sport. Buckeye football brings together people of all ages and provides a sense of community and pride unlike anything you will ever experience. Everyone should have the privilege of experiencing the comradery, excitement, and school spirit that is a football Saturday in Columbus; from Tailgates to the Skull session (the band performs and team walks through) to the game itself, and Ohio State affords students that opportunity.
All the best,