Why I Chose OSU: Megan Johnson :)

Hey Future Buckeyes!

Today I wanted to talk to you about why I chose The Ohio State University for NOT only my Bachelor’s degree, but my Doctor of Pharmacy degree as well. In high school when I was trying to decide which college was best for me, I have to admit that Ohio State was not one of my top choices (I know, shocker!). Coming from a VERY small town, I was intimidated by the size of the university and the large amount of people that attended Ohio State. I did not want my college education to consist of being “just a number” with no hope of developing relationships and connections. However, my biggest fear was that I would not succeed here because I would not get the individualized experience that I wanted. I knew that I wanted to feel a sense of belonging wherever I chose and I did not think I would get that at Ohio State’s large campus. Doing what moms do best, mine convinced me to take a tour of OSU’s campus and meet with an advisor. Needless to say after a tour of the beautiful campus and talking to current students, I absolutely fell in love. I can still picture that day on campus and thinking “Wow everyone really loves it here don’t they?” I felt a sense of energy, passion, love and excitement in the air, which I still feel today.

Flash forward 7 years to my third year in the PharmD program, I can say with 100 % confidence that Ohio State University was the right fit for me. My educational experience has been nothing short of phenomenal the past 7 years! I believe that Ohio State has allowed me to find what I am passionate about, expand my comfort zones, and find that sense of belonging I was looking for. All of my apprehensions about attending OSU were put to rest within my first few weeks of undergrad. Since day one, I have felt that I am part of a community that truly cares for one another. I have developed relationships with my professors and staff and have found some of my best friends here. Ohio State has provided me with once in a lifetime opportunities such as working with world-renowned healthcare providers to study abroad trips (I’ve been to Switzerland and I’m going to London this spring :D)

Along with that, Ohio State’s PharmD program is continuously ranked in the top 10 pharmacy schools in the nation. Between our medical campus with multiple professional schools, affordable tuition, breaking edge research, endless internship opportunities, and 20+ student organizations, it’s easy to see why. Ohio State continues to amaze me every single day. Like I mentioned before, I have been provided with some amazing opportunities throughout the past 7 years. Some of these include volunteering at free health clinics, interacting with professional state level pharmacy organizations, and learning from board certified pharmacists at the James Cancer Hospital. This past month I have been on rotations at Nationwide Children’s Hospital, which is a pediatric hospital unique to Columbus. And this is just to name a few 🙂

Choosing Ohio State was easily the best decision of my life and has truly shaped me into who I am today. These are just a few reasons why I chose this amazing university and I encourage you to ask questions regarding “finding the right fit” for you! Please don’t hesitate to email me if you have any questions at Johnson.4816@osu.edu 🙂

Go bucks!