Get to Know Your Ambassadors: Joyce

Hi everyone!  My name is Joyce Zhang and I’m a P3 here at OSU’s College of Pharmacy!  I did my undergrad at OSU studying pharmaceutical sciences and creative writing through the Early Admissions Program (EAP).  This is my third year as a Student Ambassador and my second year as a Coordinator.

994108_2655113183469_229930370254039131_n-1

Cappadocia, Turkey

In my opinion, one of the best parts about being at OSU is the number of opportunities available to get involved!  Whatever your passions are, you’ll find a place for them.  Along with being a Student Ambassador Coordinator, I’m currently president of the PharmD Class of 2018, president of Buckeyes Without Borders, and a member of Phi Lambda Sigma (PLS) leadership society, Kappa Psi (a pharmaceutical fraternity), and PODEMOS.  I’m passionate about global health, and OSU has given me ample opportunity to travel abroad.  In just two weeks from Oct 21-31, 2016, I will be traveling to the mountains near Cortés, Honduras for a medical brigade with an OSU neurologist (with whom I’m currently doing research).  This past March 2016, I spent a week in Granada, Nicaragua on one of the Buckeyes Without Borders medical brigades.  In June 2015, I spent a week in El Progreso, Honduras on the PODEMOS medical brigade, and in a few months, I will be going back to serve there again this December 2016.  I also traveled to China in July 2015 to participate in a 2-week pharmaceutical internship with the West China School of Pharmacy at Sichuan University.  My dream is to volunteer with Médecins Sans Frontières one day.

Making friends with elephants in Chiang Mai, Thailand

My lucky number is 8, so here are 8 fun facts about me:

1. If I wrote an autobiography, it would be a picture book.  I love photography and my favorite genre to write is creative nonfiction.
  2. I was born in Canada, and have since lived in Ann Arbor, Boston, New Canaan, Nashville, Cincinnati, and Columbus.
  3. Friends, running, hiking, reading fantasy books, writing memoirs, drinking bloody marys, eating sushi and kimchi fried rice, photographing beautiful moments and places, and trying new things like rollerblading and hula hooping.  Full-fat yogurt, belly laughs, getting packages in the mail, sunshine, baking cupcakes, and thrifting.  These are a few of my favorite things!
  4. I’ve traveled in 28 countries and still suffer from the travel bug.  There is still so much of the world I want to see.  Next new places on the agenda is Banff National Park over Thanksgiving break and Peru next June!

Fox in the Snow Cafe

5. I like my coffee with lots of cream and without sugar.
  6. My favorite book is The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry.
  7. If I didn’t do pharmacy, I would either become a professional photographer, travel blogger, or open up a bakery and coffee shop.
  8. I have a very intense hat collection.

Part of my hat collection

Please feel free to email me at zhang.1177@osu.edu! I would love to answer any questions about pharmacy school or just chat about life! 🙂

Joyce Zhang is currently a third-year PharmD student at The Ohio State University. She enjoys volunteering at local free clinics, providing healthcare to underserved populations on medical brigades to Nicaragua and Honduras, photography, running and hiking, and drinking tea. She is currently president of Buckeyes Without Borders, president of the PharmD Class of 2018, a Student Ambassador Coordinator, and a member of Phi Lambda Sigma (PLS) leadership society, PODEMOS, and Kappa Psi.